My outboard johnson starts and idles fine then stalls when put in gear. What would ca

boduke

Cadet
I can't figure this out. I just had it tuned up and serviced. I have a 1985 Johnson outboard that starts fine and idles fine. Then I put it into gear and it stalls I am so frustrated. Any ideas what this could be?

fireman57

Captain
Re: My outboard johnson starts and idles fine then stalls when put in gear. What woul

Welcome to iboats. Usually this is due to either the idle being set too low or crud in the carbs. The idle needs to be set on the water as it needs backpressure to run correctly. If it idles fine then disassemble and clean the carbs good.

willy007

Seaman
Re: My outboard johnson starts and idles fine then stalls when put in gear. What woul

Welcome to iboats. Usually this is due to either the idle being set too low or crud in the carbs. The idle needs to be set on the water as it needs backpressure to run correctly. If it idles fine then disassemble and clean the carbs good.

+1 to EVERYTHING

Additionally, have you checked all of your fuel hoses for leaks?

boduke

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I will try cleaning the carbs and hopefully that will do the trick. I have been dealing with this for 4 years now and I had hoped that by getting it tuned up it would have solved the problem. However we found out yesterday on the lake it still is doing the same thing.

willy007

Seaman

If it hasn't been done than definitely clean the carbs. Also, the final tuning should be done on the lake with pressure, not on a driveway with muffs. Depending on who did your tuning, that may have contributed to your issue.

boduke

Cadet

The final tuning was done in a driveway with muffs. I also will check the hoses for leaks.

boduke

Cadet

I have to be honest, I was an auto mechanic for years but these boat engines are a bit different.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it is a fishing boat, check the propshaft for tangled fishing line. I have seen it so bad that the motor will start & run at an idle, but when you put it in gear, there is enough resistance that the motor stalls & dies.

roofcock

Seaman Apprentice

i had this problem with two separate johnson 85's. turned out the timer base was not advancing when the butterflies on the carbs were opening. this johnson is a little older than yours but most likely works on the same premise.johnson timer base - YouTube watch the video and see what i am talking about. i wound up popping the flywheel and cleaning the timer base and lubed the moving parts and my issue went away. so take the cowl off (motor not running) and advance the throttle and see if the timer base moves as it should. wont cost anything but a few minutes of time and may end your frustrations. good luck

boduke

Cadet

It is moving as it should. So I have cleaned the carbs and tomorrow I am going to the lake to adjust the idle. I remember the guy that serviced it said that he adjusted the idle down. That was done in his driveway with muffs. So from what I have read here it needs to be done in the water ...so to the water I go with tools and my Johnson manual and everyones tips and hopefully by tomorrow night it will be solved.

fireman57

Captain

if you adjust it on muffs set it at around 800rpms to start with because it will probably idle best around 600-650 on the water. The backpressure will drop the rpms around 150 or so usually.