how do I diagnose my motor issues aka my lil Johnny is not feeling so good

powers laker

Cadet
.Motor is an 85 johnson 30elcoa.
Syptoms:won't stay running under load.
Diagnosed a leaking a choke relay,crack in nipple that holds gas line,replaced gasket and cover,still sick

Lets try carbs:cleanbut needle seat a little worn out, carb rebuild kit:kit installed,rebuilt,

Both cylinders pushing around 118,good there is still hope

Spark is strong.

What are my next steps into diagnosing little Johnnys ailment,I am a carpenter,and don't want to fix it with a hammer:D.Is it possibly a timing issue,if it is can someone post how to check the timing ,and whatever I might need to buy aimlessly.Tired of watching the algae grow on the pontoons:facepalm:

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: how do I diagnose my motor issues aka my lil Johnny is not feeling so good

Need more input.
Does it actually shut down under load, or does it just seem to slow down?
Basically the timing is set by the flywheel key, if the key is not sheared it should be in time.
If it just slows down, try pumping the primer bulb to bypass the fuel pump, if it runs properly you might need a fuel pump. When you had the carb apart, did you check the high speed orifice, was it clean and not plugged or restricted?
If the engine shuts down completely, check for spark when it quits. An ignition overheats it might cause the engine to quit, but when it cools off it will start and run again.

powers laker

Cadet
Re: how do I diagnose my motor issues aka my lil Johnny is not feeling so good

The motor actually dies,have changed,choke relay,cover and gasket,carb kit all jets were clean,no debri,reset adjustment screw back to one 1/2 turns,and moved it around in 1/8" turns,was idling just fine,and it ran at high rpms if you pulled the throttle body,but under load she dies