Hummingbird 997 GPS combo chart question.

Pony

Rear Admiral
I received this unit on my "new" used boat along with a 597 ciHD. I bought the lakemaster SD card for the HD lake charts, but cannot get them to work in the 997. I have tried both card slots.....but the only thing that happens is it says "loading charts" on the top for a second or two. When I zoom in on the lake I am on, nothing happens.

I put the card in the 597, and it works just fine. In the meantime I am going to use the 597 for map charting, and the 997 split screen with the down and side imaging.

Is there an update out there for the 997 that would fix this....was thinking maybe the card is just too new??

20130729_073349.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hummingbird 997 GPS combo chart question.

Don't know about your unit. On mine, there is a menu to select the map you want to use.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Have you updated the 997?

Pony

Rear Admiral

Have you updated the 997?

I have not done that. Wasn't sure that there even was one. I guess my next step might be trying to contact Hummingbird.......have any experience with them on updating their units??

Pony

Rear Admiral

Don't know about your unit. On mine, there is a menu to select the map you want to use.

On that part of the menu, it won't let me change the option to pick a chart....."Auto" is the only option. On the 597, the maps were there without me having to touch anything. Hummingbird (I think) owns Lakemaster, so my understanding was the cards are pretty much plug and play.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

On that part of the menu, it won't let me change the option to pick a chart....."Auto" is the only option. On the 597, the maps were there without me having to touch anything. Hummingbird (I think) owns Lakemaster, so my understanding was the cards are pretty much plug and play.
Mine are plug and play too....but I can have multiple map sets installed at the same time. Need to tell the unit which one to load

Pony

Rear Admiral

Mine are plug and play too....but I can have multiple map sets installed at the same time. Need to tell the unit which one to load

It doesn't allow me to select a chart set.....just stays at "auto" and I can't navigate left or right to choose anything but that.

I did wipe all the previous settings since that happened though, so I suppose I could put the card back in the 997 and see if it does anything now.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I have not done that. Wasn't sure that there even was one. I guess my next step might be trying to contact Hummingbird.......have any experience with them on updating their units??

You need an account but I don't know if you can set up an account with a pre owned unit. I don't see why you couldn't though since you have the serial on the unit. You also need an SD card and reader. Download onto the SD card and install that in the head unit.
I would update it as there must be newer software by now.

Pony

Rear Admiral

You need an account but I don't know if you can set up an account with a pre owned unit. I don't see why you couldn't though since you have the serial on the unit. You also need an SD card and reader. Download onto the SD card and install that in the head unit.
I would update it as there must be newer software by now.

The previous owner must not have registered either one of them as I was able to register both the 997 and the 597. Both of them have updates which I have put onto SD cards. I am taking the boat out on Saturday, so hopefully the updates will work. Would love to be able to use the charts on the bigger screen.