Impeller on 78 Chrysler 456b8j

TheSauce

Seaman Apprentice
Like the title says, I was out on the lake the other day and we were going around for about 2 hours - stopped at a bait store to grab some night crawlers. we get back out and start the boat, and she had a hard time starting. she started seeming like she wasnt pulling right and sounding a little funny so i eased up on the throttle. then she shut down, overheated is my guess. havnt tried to run it since. I was told by the shop that they dont work on old chrysler motors, but that it was most likley the impeller. now I know next to nothing about outboards, but ive been trying to find the correct part for almost a week now. i search a 78 45hp chrysler on here and it turns no results. Im unsure of where to find the correct part and dont want to order the wrong one.

2 out of 3 local shops told me to either scrap it or trade it to them for like $50 on a used motor....I think if I can find the parts I can save this motor. she was running great the week this happened - cant see giving up so easily

thanks for your time and help, I've been reading the forums here for a while now. Found a step by step on how to replace and impeller and all of that. also used some references from here to do some fiberglass work. this forum is a priceless pit of knowledge.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Impeller on 78 Chrysler 456b8j

Info on replacing my 1970 35hp Chrysler?s impeller (that might be ken to yours) that was no problem as a 1st time experience.

1. I?ll give you links to major post below (notice titles of post in the links:

2. If you select advance search at the top, use wickware as the ?user name?, water pump as ?key words?, this should lead you to more info on replacing an impeller with attached Pics.

3. I?ll watch for any info you might ask if others h/n addressed your questions.

4. Did you have an alarm to go off or should have gone off to warn you of over heating? Is so and it d/n go off, test it. With your switch on ground the orange wire on the back of the motor to the motor. The sensor grounds that orange wire to activate a buzzer, light or horn if the motor reaches a set temp before it is too hot.

5. In a post within the last two weeks I showed the Sierra impeller attached as my best purchase @ iBoat.

http://forums.iboats.com/force-chry...etting-good-stream-70-35hp-chrysl-362497.html

http://forums.iboats.com/force-chry...-water-pump-discharge-solid-mixed-341024.html

http://forums.iboats.com/force-chry...my-1970-chrysler-35-hp-same-level-377042.html

Attachments

• 1970, 35 hp Chrysler impeller-.JPG
    1970, 35 hp Chrysler impeller-.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (7).JPG
    1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (7).JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 0

TheSauce

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks wickware. That actually answered a lot of questions I'm sure I'm going to run into while I'm doing this haha. still not sure which kit to buy as there are none that specifically match my motor. I was also curious if you guys had advice as to anything else I should look at while I'm in there. I know next to nothing about motors but I know a small engine is the place to start.

I bought this with a 14ft tri hull and trailer last week for $700. We took it out that night, the hull didnt leak at all and the motor ran solid. We had some trouble getting it to start, and reverse also would not engage(it did when he started it in the driveway). I would like to fix the reverse problem at the same time as the impeller because a local boat guy looked at the motor, and helped me adjust the linkage. He told me that I could remove the cover and force it into reverse if it was running by pushing a lever that the throttle moves. I tried with no success, and he then told me that the other adjustments had to be made in the lower unit. We then took it out yet again for about 3 hours this time. We werent beating on it, just cruising around the lake stopping periodically to let our dogs swim. We went to buy worms from a bar on the lake, got back out on the boat and took off(again with trouble starting, had to throttle up just a bit). We got maybe 300ft and she started sounding like she was having trouble so i throttled down...I brought it to about 1/4 throttle and it died with a good amount of smoke. I saw the smoke so I let it be thinking maybe it had weeds or was running hot. Lifted the prop out of the water and there was some weeds - let it sit for a good 10 minutes before trying to start it - turned over but wouldnt start. More smoke. So I let it sit. We could hear a cracking sound sort of...So I assume it overheated. Then we rowed towards the landing until we found a tow.:facepalm:

Just curious if there is anything else I should be doing or be concerned about:confused:. I would like to take the whole thing apart to clean it, but would prefer if possible to do that during the winter.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Smoke!! Without getting an over heating alarm?

2. If it got that hot, I feel you need to check the compression in the cylinders.

3. I feel Nordin, Frank or Jerry can tell you if the impellers are the same 35-55hp.

4. While replacing the impeller, centering the shift ros should solve the reverse issue (if an adj is all needed).

5. You need to make the local mechanic mentioned your personal friend, I feel he will be reasonable in cost and time.