69 glastron rebuild

gumball

Seaman Apprentice
i purchased a 69 glastron and gutted it down to the stringer and replaced everything, put it in the water for the first time with a buddy of mine and had hardly no water in the boat when taking it out. the next time had one other person for a total of three people and had alot of water in the bottom, is there an easy way to find a leak in my boat? baffled in illinois--ps new to all this

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 69 glastron rebuild

Easy fix: Boat alone.<br /><br />That must be very frustrating. It sounds like you may have a crack in the hull somewhere that opens up with the additional weight. Double check your drain plug first, to make certain it is tight. How much is 'a lot' of water?

gumball

Seaman Apprentice

took the boat out and the plug and had a steady stream of water for a good 1.5 minutes. at least it felt like a long time. first time the boat was out pulled the plug and about 2 seconds the boat was dry.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Gumball,<br /><br />Make sure the plugs are in good condition and are not leaking. Even with new plugs in my boat, I have to tighten them 1/2 to 1 full twist past hand tight to prevent water leaking in. Check the brass hole liner for corrosion and pitting that can be letting water leak in.

gumball

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Mark i'll try that next time i go out. hopefully it will solve the problem, one other question--is it ok to have the plug on the outside of the boat? getting at it on the inside is kind of a pain my dad always told me to put it inside but is outside ok?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Put the plug on the outside. If it loosens, water pressure could pop it into the boat if the plug is on the inside. Water pressure will hold it on if it is on the outside. The benefit of having it inside though is you can pull it while planing and drain the hull, but if everything is sound, you should never have water in the hull (unless swimmers came in and out of the boat or it rained hard). I had your problem after my rebuild. There was a nasty looking Marine Tex repair on one of my lifting strakes, and I had not bothered with it, I figured it was sound. Nope, it had a pinhole that would allow water to intrude. I ground it off and repaired the hole with epoxy and cloth. I never get water in the hul anymore. Just climb undeneath while on the trailer and inspect the hull for holes, abrasions (any exposed fiberglass from beaching can wick water, so fix that). You may also need to move the boat back on the trailer to expose where it normally sets on the rollers (or bunks), as the trailer could be hiding the damage. Good luck...<br /><br />Also, Mark speaks the truth about the drain plug hole. Mine was nasty, and I cleaned it with steel wool and bought a new plug. I was getting a bit of seepage this spring, and it stopped after I did Marks trick.

gumball

Seaman Apprentice

thanks all for the help i'll try both ideas later this week. thanks again

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

One other thing - had this with a boat several years ago. When planing off it would bury the transom enough to take water in at the hull to deck seam under the rub rail, particularly if I had a load of people and gear onboard. Never took on a drop when I was alone in the boat, only when loaded down. I sealed up the seam and never leaked again. Same boat would also take on a bit of water further forward if I was quartering into a large wave or wake, usually forward of the steering helm, also through the hull to deck seam. The original goop they'd put in there had hardened and much had cracked and fallen out.<br /><br />- Scott

Pst76

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem with my Larson and finally figured out that water was splashing into boot where control cables and steering came through the splash well.Noticed a few times on a steep ramp as it came off the trailer, transom dipped just enough to allow water into the splash pan and up to boot level and water would drain though. Backing up as well as a good wave on occasion would do it also. I put a double boot around with a few tie wraps and just kept aware of the issue afterwards. Drove me nuts tring to fine where water was getting in for a few trips. Good luck

gumball

Seaman Apprentice

would anybody be iterested in purchasing this 69 glastron-- new floor, carpet, with trailer for 500 in illinois? was told the transom should be replaced soon. no motor already sold it