1988 Bayliner Ford 2.3liter OMC outdrive problem

n41076jem

Recruit
Bought this boat off CL for $1000.00. Owner said it had a Carburetor problem. Took it to lake it started and idled fine and made it out of the no-wake zone fine. When it accelerated there was no speed: engined labored, and missed.

Sound like carburetor and tune-up. Started a tune-up( points, plugs, wires, rotor and cap). Plugs 3 and 4 where broken, someone tried to change them without removing the exhaust heat exchanger. Ran compression test and found 160, 160, 0, and 0.

Removed head and found cylinder 3 and 4 ingested metal. Cylinder wall where good, values not bent or burned. Did find small pieces of metal keeping the values from closing. After reassembling compression was above 160 in all four cylinders.

Finished tune up, set timing, thing sounded good. Put it in the lake, put it in gear and the engine stalled. It acted flooded. I ordered a new rebuilt marine carburetor. The engine run great now. without the linkage hooked up the engine accelerate from idle to high rpm without issue.

The PROBLEM: when putting her in gear. The engine labor at idle to the point of stalling and will barely accelerate. There is no power.

I am assuming I have a drive issue. Took the prop off. The shaft turns nicely in my hand in netural

Jim Moore

Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Bayliner Ford 2.3liter OMC outdrive problem

The shift cable sounds like it's sticking.
There is a shift assist modual.
It temporarily stalls the motor.
Could be it's staying engaged and stalling the motor.
Or the micro switch is broken?
Try unhooking the plug to the shift assist.
Also, the drive off.On the transom assy is a shift lever(bellcrank).
Take it apart and see if it's corroded or bent.
Clean and assemble with plenty of grease.