1980 25hp Evinrude E25RCSA Overheated/Impeller Help

maza62

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so, I last used my motor in February. Started it up ran fine but didn't notice any water was going threw the telltale. So the engine overheated (smoke and shutdown), I then put the engine in a trash can and tried it in the driveway (it has an electric start). Will not start now, it just cranks and blows a big bubble every once an a while when cranking it. So first I figure it is the impeller and go for that. But don't know a lot about fixing this but want to learn (just bought a manual). I have proceeded to take apart the entire lower unit with no luck dropping it. I have come to find out it is the shift connector holding it up but cannot find the access window or bolt when you drop the LU an inch to find the connector anywhere. Please help with this LU issue and if you have any suggestions for the overheating problem. Thank you Alex

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 25hp Evinrude E25RCSA Help

Re: 1980 25hp Evinrude E25RCSA Help

There should be an oblong plate on the stbd side of the exhaust hsg you remove to get at the linkage.

maza62

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1980 25hp Evinrude E25RCSA Overheated/Impeller Help

Found it!!!! Thank you so much I was going to pull my hair out. Any suggestions on the issues the overheating might have cause or just fix the impeller for now?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I'd say you are beating a dead horse. No need to mess with the water pump till you find out what is wrong with the motor (won't start). You said you overheated it to the point of shut down. You may have destroyed it (burned it up). The water pump is not keeping it from starting.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the compression on it. You may have also blown a head gasket.

Last edited:

maza62

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry so new to this work. How would I go about checking compression and the head gasket?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to the top secret files at the beginning of this forum and look for compression testing. By the way, you can check it with the motor cold.

maza62

Seaman Apprentice

Ok compression test complete and I have an even 30psi in each of the 2 cylinders. Suggestions? I have a new head gasket to put on and try.

jasper60103

Commander

That compression sounds awful low, but it can't hurt to try. Check the cylinder walls for scoring. And be sure to follow the procedure for prepping the cylinder head before re-installing.

Last edited: