NS90A Lower Unit gasket replacement help for 1989 Nissan boating rookie

Playzoutside

Recruit
Greetings o bastions of boating! I need help with a lower unit gasket/seal/o-ring replacement. I am new to boating and recently bought a 1989 Nissan runabout with the 90hp outboard, NS90A. I'm trying to get it in great running shape and do everything that I can myself to keep it reliable and working properly. The main issue is the milky fluid in the LU. Since the boat has been sitting up for a while, I want to replace everything that I can the first now so that I won't have to worry about it soon. I figure seals need it, so I'm gonna do it. Will I need any special tools to do this job? I'm pretty good at fixing things, but have no boat fixing experience at all. Any tips that anyone can give will be most appreciated, even the most basic boating knowledge. Fortunately, I was blessed with the not-so-common common sense, so keep that in mind. While I'm in there, I was going to replace the water pump impeller, also. Anything indeed to know about that, or any special tools needed?

I had a compression test done on the motor and it looks good. The bilge pump is inop, so I will replace the Attwood 500 with the 750. The lights are all inop, as well as the stereo, so I will probably rewire all of it just to make it look nicer anyway, then go from there. Needs a new tachometer, also.

So far, I started at the ground and am working my way up. I got new aluminum wheels and karrier radials. I replaced and repacked the bearings and seals. I rewired the trailer lights and lubed the trailer. Now for the boat.

I'm hoping that this isn't a money pit. I have about $550 in the wheels, bearings, compression test, and miscellany. So far I'm looking at another 400 for the bilge pump, gaskets, water pump impeller kit, and wire. So that's about a G. I paid $3000 and it had 9 life jackets, older skis, kneeboard, wakeboard, tube, tow ropes, new radio, and lots of smaller spare parts. So I'm hoping I get my money's worth out of it. I'm not sure how boat values go. I just know I want to get out on the water with my family and have some fun.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!! Happy boating!

pvanv

Admiral
Re: NS90A Lower Unit gasket replacement help for 1989 Nissan boating rookie

Year is unimportant; model/serial is the biggie.
You will want:
3B7873212M LOWER UNIT GASKET SET $50.68
3B7652311M CHROME PLATED WATER PUMP KIT $94.64