rear brake hung after launching?

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am not sure if this just happened after I launched, or if that is when I noticed it. I think my passenger rear brake is hung. It kind of "clunks" when I put it in drive from park or after reverse and the passenger rear side almost feels and looks lower than the rest of the vehicle. Is my brake hung? If it were the e-brake that would be both sides right? It does not drag when driving. It is a 2004 Toyota Sienna. Pulling the boat should not be an issue as it is only a 12 foot aluminum jon boat. Any help on what it is and a fix would be appreciated. I tried backing up and breaking to loosen it a couple of times but it did not seem to do anything.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: rear brake hung after launching?

You are probably going to need to jack it up and take a look at what is going on, without a visual it is going to be very difficult to diagnose, you should have disc brakes on that rear on that vehicle, right? If so, you should be able to see if a pad has slipped on you.

e-brake cable splits at the rear so the cable can bind on one side jamming the brake. The clunk could be the transmission lock disengaging is you reversed back then held the boat on the transmission rather than the e-brake. Always apply the e-brake before shifting into park then it will not cluck when you select drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your vehicle has rear disc brakes but also has drum brakes for the emergency brake. I would take off the disc and take a look at the emergency brake drum shoes.

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

glenn property of pam; Always apply the e-brake before shifting into park then it will not cluck when you select drive.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I took it out last night and engaged and disengaged the e break several times and that did the trick.

As far as the post quoted above, I have always put my foot on the brake, shifted into park, set e brake, and then took foot off the brake to keep the weight off the transmission. Does that no do the same thing as setting it before shifting?

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cold be the flex line that is collapsed internally had this happen on a car once replaced to fix.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

"I have always put my foot on the brake, shifted into park, set e brake, and then took foot off the brake to keep the weight off the transmission. Does that no do the same thing as setting it before shifting?"

Setting the e brake before putting it into park puts the weight on the brakes and off the transmission. The transmission then becomes a back up for the e brake.

bassman284

Commander

Thanks for all the help guys. I took it out last night and engaged and disengaged the e break several times and that did the trick.

As far as the post quoted above, I have always put my foot on the brake, shifted into park, set e brake, and then took foot off the brake to keep the weight off the transmission. Does that no do the same thing as setting it before shifting?

Theoretically, yes. In the case of my 2008 Jeep GC, there seems to be just a smidgeon of roll before the e brake sets it is enough that sometimes the park pawl catches before the e brake. I don't worry about it too much unless I'm on a boat ramp. Then I set the e brake, shift to Neutral, release foot brake and when it goes "squnch!" as the e brake takes hold, I shift to park. Did the same with my '97. Just paranoid, I guess.

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to know, as I always park on a hill at home. Thanks guys.