Anybody Ever Open Up a Mercury Electric Fuel Pump?

getterdun

Recruit
Have a 2006 40 hp Mercury EFI 3cyl engine with bad electric fuel pump. Removed from VST and jumped to 12 volt battery. Nothing but a spark. Took small screwdriver and tried turning impeller inside bottom of unit, but it won't budge. Soaked in Sea Foam for 24 hours, but didn't help. Considering cost of new one, about $350, and my handyman skills, I'm going to open up the fuel pump. It's inside a metal canister and I'm trying to figure out how to get it out. There is one small indentation near the bottom end of the canister that looks like it was pressed in there to keep the unit from sliding apart, but that's just a guess. Both ends of the canister are rounded over. Anyone else ever opened one of these? If so, would sure appreciate knowing how you did it.

8/7/13: UPDATE: Well, I just wanted to update this so that anyone else with this problem will possibly gain enough info to fix the fuel pump themselves. I was unsuccessful but only because I screwed up when driving the armature out of the pump canister, ruining one of the carbon contacts. Anyway, I've attached a picture to show what the pump has in it, what caused it not to work, and what I would do differently if I was to do it again. Hope this helps someone like me down the road who just won't give up trying to do it yourself.

Attachments

• 100_1062.jpg
    100_1062.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anybody Ever Open Up a Mercury Electric Fuel Pump?

Bite the bullet and get a new one... t