Mercruiser 470 with water in the engine oil

Ghoward1234

Cadet
I have an 86 Mercruiser 470 and found water in the engine oil while changing it. I have noticed some anti freeze loss. I know that could be either a head gasket or a cracked head. My question is could I use some Bars stop leak for a temporary fix? I know it is a small system so I was wondering if maybe a half a bottle would help or hurt it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 470 with water in the engine oil

water can only be introduced from the riser into #3 or #4 cylinder.AF from heads, gaskets, or block and Stop-Leak like products dont work

TilliamWe

Banned

With as problematic as the 470 is to maintain, even I wouldn't use a "Band Aid" to try to fix it. Unless you want to destroy your engine, it's time to tear it down to find out what's really wrong. I am sorry that your season will be over because of this, but if you wait, your season will end soon anyway, and then your engine will be junk, and your boating career may be over.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

No Bars leak! Is it water or antifreeze in the oil? Is the weep hole in the engine waterpump open? Need to do a compression check and cooling system pressure check (borrow the tools from autozone). BTW TilliamWe +1