57 Johnson 7.5 prop nut cap

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, I'm ready to freak out here. Today as I was going up the river I hit a rock or something and my prop cap came off. I didn't notice until I put the engine in neutral then the pin fell out. It appears that this part omc 0303365 is now obsolete. And there is only one place left I can find that has it but they want a ridiculous amount of money for it.

How imperative is this part? Could I just put a new pin in and cover the holes with duct tape, a rubber O-ring/grommet or something?

Is its only purpose the keep that pin in place or does it do something else like protect the nut from water?

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 57 Johnson 7.5 prop nut cap

If it was my mtr I'd find the correct one. Maybe somebody else will chime in with more info.

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks CS that cone is a good bit different than mine. I found 1 on eBay for $30 but that's ridiculous. Just a couple years ago these things were going for $6 but I guess obsolete parts will cost you more.

I bought a steel pin and found a grommet just smaller than the props clip it was a tight fit but i got it all togetherand holding well, it looks like it may work, but I haven't tested it out yet. Guess there's always the possibility that the grommet will slide off in the water.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How much does a new prop cost if you lose it due to not having the proper nut ??