Not Sure Where To Start

butterfli4201

Recruit
My husband just bought a boat last week and now I don't know what to do with it. It's a 1979 Volvo Penta A140 motor. Thats all I know about it at the moment because I havent been able to get in it to find much else out. What I do know is the guy that sold it to him said that the carburetors need to be cleaned? The brief time that I did get a chance to look at it I discovered that the oil and the water both smell strongly of gas. I'll get more information on it tomorrow if ya'll need it, at the moment I am just curious what could cause both things to reek of gas. Would it be better to just replace it? Its been sitting I know for at least a year if not longer and has a bit of rust on it. Thanks :)

captmello

Captain
Re: Not Sure Where To Start

Welcome!

Sounds odd...I think I'd start by draining the oil and cooling system to try to confirm they do in fact have gas in them. You have a closed cooling system, meaning, Antifreeze in the block and raw water being pumped through a heat exchanger.

"Would it be better to just replace it?"

Replace what?

butterfli4201

Recruit

Im pretty positive its gas since both the oil and water reek of it. I'll replace it tomorrow and see what happens. My best guess is someone accidentally put gas in the cooling system? Not sure on that one.
Sorry, should have clarified,the motor. I would love to fix the one that's in it but I'm sure parts aren't going to be very easy to find since its so old.

captmello

Captain

This sounds like quite a project.

I would try to fix what you have. A compression test would be a start. Have you had it running?
The outdrive will also most likely need some work as well.

Parts can be had, but the money adds up fast. Just be cautious, old boats can get expensive real fast. Ask me how I know...

butterfli4201

Recruit

This sounds like quite a project.

I would try to fix what you have. A compression test would be a start. Have you had it running?
The outdrive will also most likely need some work as well.

Parts can be had, but the money adds up fast. Just be cautious, old boats can get expensive real fast. Ask me how I know...

He turned the key and it sounded like it wanted to start but I stopped him before he went any farther because of the gas issue. Didn't want to make it any worse.

butterfli4201

Recruit

So I just drained the oil and it was pretty much entirely gas. Any guess as to why that would be?

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like it's pouring gas into the motor from the carb, won't start because it's so flooded. It's good it hasn't started yet till you change the oil and check for a stuck open needle and seat in the carb.