Cleaning cylinder drain port

mikes 86

Seaman Apprentice
Cleaning my cylinder drain ports on my 1987 125 outboard, need to know if i have to open up the transfer port and clean it as well??? And can any one explain how this system works thanks for help!!!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cleaning cylinder drain port

No, all you need to do is remove the drain covers. You do not need to clean the inside of the transfer chambers.

There were a couple of different systems, depending upon year. However all systems were designed to improve idle and really only function at idle.

basically, at idle, fuel and oil puddles out in the crankcase and transfer chambers. Eventually it gets great enough to blow into the cylinder, causing a misfire. The cylinder drains remove this puddled fuel and oil before it gets great enough to cause a misfire. Some constantly blow a small bit into the cylinders to be burned and some systems recirculate the oil to the manifolds or bearings.

mikes 86

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Cleaning cylinder drain port

Thank you frank!!! It is great to have someone on this site that really knows what he is talking about !!!! My motor smokes at idle quite a bit i was told to clean the drains and do a decarb, drains didnot seem to have much in them hope i am on right track ????