a couple boat rewiring ? tack/fuel gage

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im rewiring all my boat wiring i want all the dash lights to be on a switch so i set it up that way but when i got to the tack theres only three wires +/-/s ?will the tack only work with switch on if so are there any tacks that wire the light separate also fule gage always pegs full even after rewire any suggestions this did this before and after sender is grounded its a plastic tank i didnt change that ty in advance

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: a couple boat rewiring ? tack/fuel gage

Yes it has a light two feeds on top +/- 1feed (s)on bottom i wasnt sure if the sender supplyed its own power .answer no it didnt work only with switch on i tried it out so ? Is whats a good tack thats not priceythat will give me separate lead its ahored 50 hphp force 1988 D ignition .i checked the gas gauge and sender it workes as stated to test but gauge is bad i had an old gauge from motorcycle it reads fine so the sticky isnt fool proof there was a short in gauge but ill let others know some more info rather then lead them to a sticky although ty for ur response and help this sight is great but not everyone is stuipid i read as many posts as i find and try those first on things i havnt encountered

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On some tachs the internal light is on any time the key is on. No big deal. The instrument lights are normally wired to ths NAV side of the NAV/ANC switch.

NYBo

Admiral

You are going to be very limited as far as finding another tach is concerned. Your motor has a 20-pole stator, and not many tachs are compatible. When I was looking for one, I had to get a used one from eBay; I couldn't find a new one that would work.

Sorry you didn't find the troubleshooting thread helpful for your fuel gauge problem. Most people don't have an extra gauge handy to swap in, so you had one up on them.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ty nybo and silvertip i ty on saving time on trying to find one and responces ill just hook it to ignition to come on when i turn key it will just be the one light that stays on i added alot of deck dash and some kc lights all for night fishing trying too cut down on unnecessary draw as dead battery at 1am is not fun lol