Carb/prop issue

jay127

Seaman Apprentice
Vortec 4.3 w /holley 4160 4 barrel.

The boat runs great but here's the issue. If I use one spring in the carburetor I get a good take off with a top speed of 47. 4 barrels don't open as enough. Now if I put the spring in that allows it to open sooner I get bad bogging cause the 4 barrels open to soon but once it plains the boat screams to 51mph. is there anyway that people have found to solve this issue.

Thanks and sorry if its confusing

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb/prop issue

Maybe the secondary jets are too big for the motor. Did the 4160 come with the motor originally? 4160's come jetted from Holley for all kinds of small to intermediate block motors. Another thing to consider, does it have the right powervalve in it? You can usually call Holley, give them the list # and they can tell you what it was set up for and might point you in the direction to find info what would work best for your motor.

Have you ever shut down rapidly after a high speed run and taken a reading on the plugs?

jay127

Seaman Apprentice

carb brand new built specifically for the 4.3 liter. again the boa runs great but it would be nice that once its on plane the 4 barrels would open all the way. but im fine with 47 its nice having it run so good.

Maclin

Admiral

There are more than two springs available from Holley. The spring kit comes with documentation of ratings for the springs.

It may not be able to take all 4 barrels wide open, I bet the setup that gets you 47mph is all she needs :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

IMHO and according to many a CFM calculator, 600 CFM is way more than necessary for a 4.3 l engine. It is even too big for a 5.0 liter engine. Holley does make a 500 CFM 4160 which is ideal for most all Small Block V8's and smaller.