Grease or no gease?

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Currently putting things back together and want to be sure where grease should and should not be applied. In specific the silver plate that is directly below the cam. I have 2 pics below, one showing just the ring I'm talking about and the other showing it in reference to where it actually goes. My question is....should it have grease on top of it or underneath it, or both sides? Thanks

Attachments

• supportplate_zpsc7570029.jpg
    supportplate_zpsc7570029.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
  • supportplate_zpsc0fc4505.jpg
    supportplate_zpsc0fc4505.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Grease or no gease?

Hi Olias. If I understand the pic correctly, it looks like you're rebuilding the magneto on a vintage OMC motor <20hp, or so. Based on the air silencer, I'm guessing it's a pre-1960 model, or so. If that's correct, you don't need any grease. Here's a great ignition rebuild link for motors using the much love OMC "universal magneto" which were used until the early/mid '70s.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the speedy response. I should have pointed out that my motor specs are in my signature. Sorry. Hmmm....no grease eh, well maybe that would explain the extra vibration I've been experiencing since I greased it all up. :) I'll give your link a good read. Thanks again.

kfa4303

Banned

Those mag pates are sort of famous for being wobbly. There are actually a few threads here in the forums on how to fix it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Geez, I've always greased them because it is a moving part.

Last edited:

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Geez, I've always greased them because it is a moving part.

Same here. At least that's what I was originally told and watched a guys video with almost the same motor and he said to grease it with some high temp stuff that doesn't break down easily like break/axle type grease. So not really sure here. Hmmm....

nwcove

Admiral

i always put a thin film of grease on them also....and i make sure to clean up any excess so it wont find its way onto the points.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. If you are gonna grease it go easy so you don't get any excess on the electronics. I've never greased it and never had an issue one way, or the other.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

That silver ring in the picture is upside down to how it mounts in the motor. If you do grease it, I would, you grease the face of the ring that makes contact with the brass ring in your first picture. The magneto ring gets greased in the same area. As was said, take it easy on the grease. Just a thin but complete layer where the three parts make contact.

DLH

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What Don just said. He got it right. It goes flat side up. And yes it should be greased, but sparingly. Too much will splatter out and foul the points

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the input guys. A thin coating it is then. Oh, and now ya got me thinking and I have to Dbl check and see if I put it on upside down or not. ;)

-B-