1989 VRO removal..

knowalibis

Cadet
It is necessary to remove VRO from my 1989 110 due to cracked oil reservoir. It is out of the pontoon and the oil supply line has been blocked off. What wires (and where ) are to be disconnected to cease the oil alarm from going off? I have cut the wires from the engine to the reservoir near the engine. I believe they are beige and black.

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: 1989 VRO removal..

there is a plug for the wires you have cut ??? never mind.
now just got to the vro pump and youl see wires comming away from that, just simply unplug the wires and then your done.
tape the plugs so no water interfereswith them or if you ever want to go back to the vro for any strange reason..
thats it, nothing else to do. its a very simple operation to disconnect it.
just make sure you now pre-mix the fuel at 50-1 raito with the 2 stroke oil and your good to go.
youl just be using the fuel pump side of the pump from now on.

phill

Last edited:

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Follow the oil tank wires you cut into the cowl and there should be a plug in it also. Unplug it. Any tan wire getting shorted to ground will sound the alarm.

knowalibis

Cadet

I did all of the above suggestions and the oil alarm keeps coming on. I pulled the lead off the alarm and it stopped. There are leads I assume to be the overheat leads on the other pole of the alarm. I also assume that the overheat alarm will still work...if I am incorrect please tell me.

phillnjack2

Ensign

is your alarm in the remote control box ?
if so you shouldnt need to pull any wires from that at all.

the alarm should not be the low oil alarm if the plug is disconnected, it needs to be shorted out by the sensor or a broken
wire shoting out to sound the alarm.
you might have a bad wire grounding out somewhere.
and you might of got the overheat wire pulled and not the oil alarm.

to be sure the overheat is working just have the key switched on and pull the tan wire from the sensor plug on
cylinder head and ground it
if you hear the alarm then the you should be ok, if not then youve either got a bad alarm sensor or you could of
pulled off the overheat alarm wire from the alarm buzzer.
maybe the overheat sensor has gone bad and was sending signal to alrm in the first place.

did this alarm sound before you split the tank ?

and can i ask why you think its the oil alarm sounding and not the overheat sensor sounding off ?

phill

knowalibis

Cadet

overheat alarm is a solid alarm and only sounded when impeller ate itself..oil alarm beeps on and off and only starts beeping after 10-20 seconds of running..could be low oil alarm as well...laser temp gun reading on top of the heads shows a temp of avg 110...I bought the boat completely apart and I am trying to get it back together and running..it sat for 7-8 years...just pull the wire out of the 1/2 inch or so round rubber boot on the outsides of the heads and ground it???..

knowalibis

Cadet

the alarm is located in the console about a foot from the controls

knowalibis

Cadet

the beeping alarm sounded from the first start up after 10 seconds or so as the tank was not connected and it was on pre mix...the overheat alarm sounded shortly after, about 30 -60 seconds, and stayed on continuously.. I replaced impeller and the only alarm was the beeping alarm.

dan

knowalibis

Cadet

there were no plugs on the wires..in the past somewhere along its life the wires to the oil pump had been replaced and butt connected..