Need advice picking between 2 boats

HeyRobi

Recruit
Hey I'm looking to trade for a Boat. I have 2 offers I'm interested in. Any help picking would be appreciated. I'm a family of 4 - 2 kids 4 and 7. New to boating had some jet skis last year.

1st boat :
93 Sunbird Corsair
90hp Evinrude out board
New water pump
New started
New foot oil
Interior ok
New wake tower
Bimini top
Nice sound system
Comes with some skis, knee boards and 2 seater tube.

2nd Boat : Renken model 204M5

85 Renken model 204M5 runabout. The motor is a rebuilt 5.0 OMC motor with rebuilt OMC drive and Stiletto prop. Several items are new on motor such as starter, manifolds, hoses, and carb. The interior has been refurbished with marine carpet, marine vinyl, teak wood oiled and motor cover modified. The trailer is a Southern Draw dual axle trailer with new hubs, new bearing buddies and good tires

Thanks for any advice or tips

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need advice picking between 2 boats

One thought to really consider is that OMC is no longer in business, parts for your second boat option will be hard to find if at all. That said # 1 looks better.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The newer boat with outboard is the way to go.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am not a fan of the sunbird construction and they rate right along side OLD bayliner construction. I will keep looking or absolutely investigate the transom and deck of the sunbiird

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I am not a fan of the sunbird construction and they rate right along side OLD bayliner construction. I will keep looking or absolutely investigate the transom and deck of the sunbiird

Although I don't know much about boats that is why I am here! :) Beg to differ on older Bayliners. My last boat was a 1970 Bayliner and the boat was flawless. Suppose it comes down to owners care for it before I, but not all Bayliner's contruction are bad. I believe the older ones just like classic cars, were far better made then the new ones any day. What do I know though :)

Surf around HeyRobi and learn all you can about investigating older boats and boats in general. You need to educate yourself before you decide to buy one what things to look for. Biggest problem you may face is rot and some of that may not be noticed unless you buy the boat and tear up the deck. Some will have obvious signs of that and please do take that into conderation especially if you want to be on the water immediatly. Check out some of the restoration threads to see all the things to look for. Or maybe some others will chime in and give you a break down. Like what others have said though the newer one may be a better option, considering it is not a OMC and most prefer that Outboard when it comes to towing someone on skiis or tube.

Last edited:

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

We just went through the buying process a month ago. Between these two hands down the first boat. Assuming you're water testing it, the outboard evinrude seems like the way to go. I'm a big Johnson / evinrude fan.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'd keep looking. Never an OMC and Sunbird is maybe a step above Bayliner - the bottom rung.