Top of regulator assembly - should it spark and have current on unit itself?

WA-Newb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was out late tonight making sure all my connections were good and trying some more tests on my 1987 Johnson 120 to see why there is no spark.
While out there I decided to clean up a little of the rust / corrosion that is on top of the regulator / rectifier assembly.

I used a small wire wheel (hand held) and as soon as I scrubbed it a couple of times I got a spark similar to what you get when hooking up a battery cable or using jumper cables...I am positive I did not touch any of the wires at all (they were on other side) but I "may" have touched the flywheel and the rectifier at the same time with the metal wire wheel..but that would be it.

Should this unit have live current like this? I also put both ends of my volt meter on top of it in various spots and it did show current...maybe only a volt or so but it was definitely there.

Is it time for a new assembly? and could I have fried anything else because of this issue (if it's an issue).

Thank you.

Was also hoping that I would get spark when I tried cranking it over with that unit unplugged but no luck...sigh.