Lost key to 75 starcraft 16ft?????

OLDTIME75

Recruit
Hi everyone, I have a 1975 16 foot starcraft with a 85hp Evinrude outboard. I recently lost my key to the ignition switch on the control box. I don't have a lot of time or money and was wondering if you guys have any ideas to start the boat without a key? The control box has a black wire and a yellow wire coming out of it. Can I simply cut these two wires and wire on a new ignition switch or is the wiring more detailed inside the control box than I think? Or could I drill out the key entry and start it with a screwdriver? I am not real mechanically inclined with boats and would like to get the boat back on the water. Thanks for any help!

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Lost key to 75 starcraft 16ft?????

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Yes, the wiring is a little more complicated than that. To choke the motor, do you have to push in the key? If so, you need a push-to-choke switch: 3-Position Push-To-Choke Ignition Switch - iboats

If not, you need something like this: Sierra Ignition Switch - MarineWorks MP39100 - iboats

These both are for motors with magneto ignition systems. Not sure what yours has. If it has a distributor ignition, the one m_steiger cited is what you want.

I would go ahead swap the switch out. Its a real easy task. iboats has a switch that would work for $15
Replacement Ignition Switch, OFF-RUN-START, 3 Screw Tab, Short - MarineWorks MP41030 - iboats

OLDTIME75

Recruit
Re: Lost key to 75 starcraft 16ft?????

It doesn't have a push key choke. The choke is a lever coming off of the bottom of the control box and the main choke is on the engine. I will check and see if the marina has a matching key or if they can order one, if not then It's time to split the control box and buy a new ignition switch and hopefully I don't mess the wiring up and burn up something lol!