lync and synce confusion , please help

phillnjack2

Ensign
ok ive got a 1995 evinrude 60hp triple
Model no BE60TLEOC
Serial no G 03751787

im trying to get the carbs and timing syncronised, but i am comming up against a brick wall.:confused:

this is what i read
the throttle should start to advance the timing before the throttle opens the carbs or the engine will
bog down with too much fuel going to carburettors

well i find that is impossible to make the advance timing start moving before the throttle, due to being
told the pointer on the throttle plateto be just touching the centre of the roller as in pic below.

Now if i adjust the rod to the carbs so the timing moves first then the roller will not be incontact with
the plate.

the timing spark advance lever only moves when the throttle lever moves, and originaly this was not
even up tight against the plastic timing link dowel, but back 1/2 inch.
to be back this far would mean throttle opening before the timing advance starts !!!!!!!
what am i doing so very wrong ?
i am just going round in circles and making it worse im sure i have completely messed it all up now.

please help.

phill...:facepalm:

Attachments

• DSCF2311.jpg
    DSCF2311.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 0

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: lync and synce confusion , please help

come on folks
im open to suggestions or comments on this as im not getting this at all.

phill

Fed

Commander

Phil a link & sync has about 30 steps to do in a specified order and I think that's why you never see anyone post them up in here. The normal response, buy the genuine OMC manual for your particular model it will be the cheapest purchase you will make.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree + ! ...........

JDusza

Ensign

My big but, ...

Without the manual's procedure could we suggest to:
1 Ensure the throttle's action operates across its intended full range; stop to stop.
2 Then with the throttle at idle position, adjust the idle speed by moving the ignition plate. One way, the engine goes faster, the other way, the engine goes slower.
3 Once you've identified the desired idle, solidify the relationship via the linkage bar between the throttle and ignition plate.

I agree it's not fancy nor is it literally "by the book", but, it might just get things operational.

Thanks for listening.
J

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Check your butterfly plates close properly. Adjust roller position as needed
Pull that connector off the cam and tighten it a couple of turns.

The roller hits that mark at start position when the timing has already started advancing

Last edited:

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

wot you can do phillnjack2 try this ,set your ignition timing first disconnect the linkage to the carb cam . set the timing at WOT first by adjusting the stop screw under fly wheel to siute . once you have done this open the butterfly by hand until fully open . hold it in that position then move the timing trigger to the WOT position against the rubber stop then connect & adjust the linkage to match the cam .
you would need a strong battery & pull the plug caps off prevent starting while you doing the adjustments . buy doing it this way should give you some results

Last edited:

JDusza

Ensign

And then, to get yourself all unwound from all this advice, you'll want the manual. lol
Dang it, Fed!!!
J

phillnjack2

Ensign

getting the proper namual over here is like finding rocking horse ****.
i have been watching out for one.

bosuns mate talks of the maximum spark advance timing lever moving before throttle and the mark on plate when warm up lever in start position.

This engine uses the quickstart feature that is why only 1 single mark on the plastic throttle plate cam.
if i raised the warm up lever, where would i raise it to ?
this lever can take the engine to way over 3,000 rpms, that is not start up position !!!!!!
quick start enables engine timimng to change and then goes to normal after just a minute or so.

this is where my confusion comes in,
from what i have managaed to read about these engines,the roller is supposed to just touch the plate at the mark at idle position,
no warm up lever being used at all.

if there is supposed to be a gap between throttle roller and mark on plate, what is this gap ?

phill

phillnjack2

Ensign

ahhhh cheers daselbee, that makes sense now. not exactly much of a gap is it ?
so the lever connected to the spark advance at the top will slightly move just a tincy bit before
throttle movement on the carbs ? almost nothing at all. ?
i knew it couldnt be with warm up lever up as it can move the plate a long long way.

before i touched this the lever had a gap of about 1/2 inch at the top to where the spark advance moves etc,
it has a spring behind it to keep it sort of inplace and up against it, but it was a gap of atleast 1/2 inch
before it touched the spark advance,so throttle was moving first by a fair bit..
i didnt think this was right at all, so put it against the spark advance so as it would move with throttle lever
straight away..
now with a slight gap the timing will moves very slightly first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have been looking in a manual but it was a nasty Seloc thing, total crap book, definitely need a proper one i agree.
just need to find one over here.

in the pic below is my understanding of how the spark advance lever should be now :confused:,
and now the gap between plate and carb roller.
i hope this is correct.
if not im definitely losing the plot, and the will to live. :mad:

phill.......:facepalm:

Attachments

• DSCF2312 xx 2.jpg
    DSCF2312 xx 2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0

daselbee

Commander

Phil....I too am at a disadvantage with this one. I only have the seloc manual to refer to. Unfortunately, if you will notice, the seloc manual glosses over (skips) the very important steps of how to set the idle stop to it's correct position. I know the general idea here is to have the linkage go back to idle position, the linkage hit the stop firmly, the total cable/linkage setup should have no play, etc. That is a given on all motors. But the Seloc manual skips the ever important step of setting the initial location for the idle stop screw. I think that if you study the manual, the engine's linkages, etc, you will find that the idle stop screw on yours is not positioned right, and the throttle cable is not adjusted right. The throttle cable must be disconnected while doing all this, and then you hook it up (adjusted properly) last. I would absolutely take as fact this point, and work from there: The throttle cam roller MUST be aligned with the mark on the cam with a 0.010 gap. That is fact. Disconnect the rod swivel ball from the cam, start it up (with throttles closed obviously), and get the idle timing set at about 4 ATDC. Then using all the intuitive brainpower you have, try to figure the rest of the linkage settings working BACK from that throttle cam to the throttle cable. I just did a 50HP 2 cyl, and it was a bear. Every adjustment caused changes in the other settings, and I had to keep jockeying ALL adjustments until it finally dialed in with idle at 4*ATDC, WOT at 19* BTDC, all marks lined up etc. Seloc is a mess as far as manuals go. I think you are going to find your cable length and idle stop adjustments are off.

Last edited:

phillnjack2

Ensign

the idle stop screw is a bit wierd.

ok lets start again,
with no throttle cables connected, where does the top of the timing lever go ?
i presumed its meant to touch the advance timming thing under the flywheel ??????
if so then the idle stop screw is never going to touch that lever, as to touch it the top has to be atleast 1/2 back and
compressing the spring.

with the lever just touching the advance timming at the top the idle stop is defunct 100%.
with no cables connected this is where it automatically goes on its own accord.

to have it touching the idle stop screw the cable needs to be poulling it back atleast 1/2 inch.

with throttle cable disconnected the throttle lever dont go back to idle stop screw on its own, the spring makes the lever touch the advance timing thing !!!!!!!!!!
so unless your actualy pulling back against the spring, the idle stop is useless.
thats without cable attached.
the cable would need to travel a fair bit before moving the spark advance ????

why is there a idle stop down here when to adjust the idle you have to turn the screw under the flywheel ????

i think this screw is from older type set ups that had the thumb screw on the plate or for the tiller version.

its getting wierder with everything i look at ha ha ha

phill..........:facepalm:

phillnjack2

Ensign

this pic below show someone elses powerhead not even on the midsection yet and no cables attached at all.
now the idle stop screw is screwed in all the way and just touching the trottle lever !!!
now notice at the top under the flywheel the lever is compressing the spring brinhing back the spark advance. ok
now the throttle plate is touching the roller !!!! so as soon as the throttle arm moves, then the carbs are opening before the
spark advance is even pushed forward at all !!!!
if for arguments sake the rod was shortened to the plastic cam plate (plate with mark that goes to roller ) there would
need to be an 1/2 gap between roller and plate when at idle ??????????

nowhere have i seen a huge gap between roller and plate on anyones engines, but with no gap the carbs have to be
opening before any advance could possibly take place like this .

in this pic, the rod from roller cam is being used to push back the throttle arm onto the idle stop screw against
the spring at the top !!!!

pic below to show my mad thinking.

phill

Attachments

• powerheadstarboard.jpg
    powerheadstarboard.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0

phillnjack2

Ensign

is this realy a case of nobody on here knows where the throttle lever should be when at idle in nuetral ?

well that suprises me to see no experts on the 60hp triples.

suppose i had better go try find a forum with some answers from people who know these engines.

phill

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I suppose you better then,
and then post back

"the throttle should start to advance the timing before the throttle opens the carbs or the engine will
bog down with too much fuel going to carburettors.............................."

If you look at the cam the carb shouldnt start opening until after the roller has gone some distance along the cam which is why they always write in the factory manuals to hang an aligator clip with a tail from the carb linkages.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You also need to check where your timing deg is at idle, your throttle lever looks to far forward, its not near the idle stop screw at all and the control arm onto the cam looks to be adjusted in far to far to compensate for some advanced timing going on.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yes the cables should be pulling it back

phillnjack2

Ensign

yes Fed that is the very book im after.
But nobody wants to ship to the uk without wanting more than the book,
ive tried lots of them by email etc and nobody wants to know due to massive postage costs.
dont know if the us has to pay a tax as well to send to uk ? i used to get lots of stuff from usa but now it seems
people are not willing to ship here ?

Bosunsmate
i do understand that the cable pulls it back, or it would never come back on its own !!!!

please look at this pic to see what would have to happen if the main lever touched the idle stop screw !!!!
note the timming is being pulled back at the top, and where the pointer is on the plastic cam.
see what you think

this is why im confused, you cant have it like this and have timming moving before throttle,its impossible.
the plate is supposed to be touching roller on that mark i know this for sure.
so how is it possible to move the timming before moving the plate ??????

p.s the pic above you refered to is not my engine, but someone elses rebuild, but this to be how they all are.

phill

Attachments

• DSCF9710z.jpg
    DSCF9710z.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: