What upgrade engines will replace 2.3 in 89 Bayliner, marine and automobile?

bobsomm

Recruit
FRIEND did not winterize my 89 bayliner 2.3 and block cracked, exhaust manifold cracked. Was not happy with low power and ask if someone can recommend economical replacement/Upgrade engine to consider. Tried 2.3 from ford truck but was too long. Mechanic ripped me off and left town. Need to fix or part it out. Has Cobra II outdrive. What will fit? Thanks Bob

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What upgrade engines will replace 2.3 in 89 Bayliner, marine and automobile?

The Ranger 2.3 should have been the same block. What didn't fit? Do a search in this forum...you should find your answer.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What upgrade engines will replace 2.3 in 89 Bayliner, marine and automobile?

FRIEND did not winterize my 89 bayliner 2.3 and block cracked, exhaust manifold cracked. Was not happy with low power and ask if someone can recommend economical replacement/Upgrade engine to consider. Tried 2.3 from ford truck but was too long. Mechanic ripped me off and left town. Need to fix or part it out. Has Cobra II outdrive. What will fit? Thanks Bob

Best option would be to replace with pully to prop 3.0L from a donor boat. You will have to install a front engine mount in thou. Your biggest problem with getting hat 2.3 back up and running will be replacing that exhaust manifold. Very expensive and hard to find a good one. Aftermarket are a available but over a grand online I have the same set up and plan putting a 3.0 merc in it. Good luck man
Stu

bobsomm

Recruit

Thanks Levinz11, Stu and Dale
The Ranger 2.3 should have been the same block. What didn't fit? Do a search in this forum...you should find your answer.

The guy doing the work turned out to be a druggie and ripped off a bunch of us seniors before he disappeared. I can't say for certain that the engine I bought actually would not work, just that he told me this before I caught on that he was sucking us dry. He had gotten rid of the engine and I got ba k 50 cents on the dollar.

I'll look into a 3.0L. Someone told me last Fall that I can go up to a 5.0....

Thanks again

Peace Bob near Seattle.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Levinz11, Stu and Dale

The guy doing the work turned out to be a druggie and ripped off a bunch of us seniors before he disappeared. I can't say for certain that the engine I bought actually would not work, just that he told me this before I caught on that he was sucking us dry. He had gotten rid of the engine and I got ba k 50 cents on the dollar.

I'll look into a 3.0L. Someone told me last Fall that I can go up to a 5.0....

Thanks again

Peace Bob near Seattle.

Ayuh,....You can go all the way to a Big Block if ya want,...

Whatever ya buy, you need from the Pulleys to the Prop, to do the swap,...
That means buyin' a rotten boat, 'n junkin' it for it's driveline to put into Yer hull,...

Which brings up an important Question,...

Just how much in Love with yer hull are you,..??

If yer Not turnin' yer own wrenches, sell what you've got, 'n go buy another Runnin' boat,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the 2.3 is the SAME block and heads in the ford Ranger, which is just an updated ford Pinto motor. sounds like you will also need to source a new exhaust manifold.

However as Bond-o put it, How in love with your boat are you? to repower your existing boat with a 2.3 liter will be in about the 1 BOAT unit range by the time you get a decent running 2.3, new manifold, gaskets, incidentals, etc. (1 BOAT unit is $1000 for Break Out Another Thousand). A motor swap will be a minimum of 1 BOAT unit and may be as high as 4 BOAT units

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

the 2.3 is the SAME block and heads in the ford Ranger, which is just an updated ford Pinto motor. sounds like you will also need to source a new exhaust manifold.

However as Bond-o put it, How in love with your boat are you? to repower your existing boat with a 2.3 liter will be in about the 1 BOAT unit range by the time you get a decent running 2.3, new manifold, gaskets, incidentals, etc. (1 BOAT unit is $1000 for Break Out Another Thousand). A motor swap will be a minimum of 1 BOAT unit and may be as high as 4 BOAT units

He will also need the block with the distributor hole. I think the ranger blocks have no hole. Done one correct me if I'm wrong.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Love that, may steal it.