Does a 2000 Crestliner Fishhawk's livewell re-circulate?

hedp

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 2000 Crestliner Fishhawk and was told I could turn the livewell on and it would fill up and I could then leave it on or turn it off and the water would stay inside the livewell. There is a little spigot thing that you turn to allow water in and turn off to stop water from coming in. There is no other spigot. There is a long plastic tube that you plug into the drain hole also.

Well, I turned it on and it filled with water and worked great. However, I turned it off thinking that the water would stay inside since the plastic tube was in place. However, the water had all drained out after a short time. I thought this livewell was supposed to re-circulate? Or is that only when it's turned on?

Either way, why didn't the water stay in it when it was turned off? Do I have to always have it turned on to keep water in there?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Does a 2000 Crestliner Fishhawk's livewell re-circulate?

There is a long plastic tube that you plug into the drain hole also.

Not sure on your Fishhawk, but on my 2000 Superhawk it does not recirculate, only pumps freshwater into the livewell. The screw-in overflow tube is supposed to keep the livewell full, but mine leaks a little bit, it would probably drain the 30 gallon livewell in a day.

How fast does your livewell drain down and have you tried filling it on land to see where the water is going?

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure on your Fishhawk, but on my 2000 Superhawk it does not recirculate, only pumps freshwater into the livewell. The screw-in overflow tube is supposed to keep the livewell full, but mine leaks a little bit, it would probably drain the 30 gallon livewell in a day.

How fast does your livewell drain down and have you tried filling it on land to see where the water is going?

Fast. Like 10 minutes.

I wonder if I screwed in the tube wrong.

fishrdan

Admiral

I wonder if I screwed in the tube wrong.

Possible, I have to do it myself as when I've let me son do it, it's leaked, even myself I have to watch how it's sealing. One of the sides is a rubber fitting and it needs to be tight, but not so tight that the threads slip and it starts leaking. It probably worked really well when new, but after 10 years.....

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Possible, I have to do it myself as when I've let me son do it, it's leaked, even myself I have to watch how it's sealing. One of the sides is a rubber fitting and it needs to be tight, but not so tight that the threads slip and it starts leaking. It probably worked really well when new, but after 10 years.....

If the tubes bad can you buy a new one even though its 13 years old?

fishrdan

Admiral

I'd have to look, but I think it's the fitting in the tank that's the rubber part, be a real pain to replace that...

I have seen the tubes available online before, but don't know where I ran across it.... Might have it right here at iboats.

hedp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I solved the problem. It must of been a bad tube.

I got tired of attempting to screw the tube in and out and ordered a new push in tube from TH Marine. It works good now. I think the old one got cross-threaded and ruined.