Closed Bow

BPospisil79

Recruit
I'm in the market for a brand new boat but can't find what I want.
Does any boat manufacture make a closed bow runabout I/0 17' - 19'?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Closed Bow

Chris Craft makes a 20ft closed bow. Got $$$$$$$$$$$$?

Last edited:

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Speaking of Bayliner, they have a Discovery 192. Small cuddy.

matt167

Captain

C-Dory is another option. Might as well take advantage of the space. They go right down to 16'

haulnazz15

Captain

The market for 17-19' closed-bow runabouts is pretty small, which is why very few companies make them anymore. It's usually wasted space that most would rather have for seating as it's too small a boat length for a true cuddy cabin. Are you boating where you are worried about stuffing the bow? Do you just like the look of them? What's the motivation for the closed bow and maybe we can help steer you in the right direction.

BPospisil79

Recruit

simply like the look. I am on a Adirondack lake so I don't want anything to long and don't need a cuddy because we have a cottage.
I'd like to stay around the $28,000 - $35,000.

ziggy

Admiral

i just went to the glastron site. the gt169 is closed bow (w/ob power). a shade shy of 17' though. may be a bit to small to meet your needs.
fwiw. i got a closed bow. and i like it. mostly for more capable boating (imho) in snotty wind and waves though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I think closed bow boats are few and far between

I would restore a mid 50's wooden chris craft myself as I do like the look. New ones are nice, and a really good friend of mine works there so I can see stuff in the works. However most are bow runners. I know there was a few posts for making a fiberglass bow cover to give it the look, however have not seen one completed.

I think Stingray used to offer an 18' with a hard cover for the bow area that could be removed to make it a bow rider, or left in place for the closed bow look. not sure if they still do

pckeen

Commander

With that price range, you could purchase a late 60s or early 70s 18-21 foot Starcraft Holiday, buy a brand new 90-115 hp Yamaha four stroke, new steering and mechanical components, and have the whole thing professionally restored.....and still be under budget.

You would basically have a brand new boat, custom designed to suit your needs.

pckeen

Commander

Or if you wanted an I/O, you could do that too, and still be under budget.

agallant80

Commander

Just wondering but why do you want a closed bow? Would you rather not have the people carrying capacity of a bow rider?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Closed bow boats are obsolete because when they invented he bowrider they opened up so many more possibilities. Today, a closed bow boat has questionable resale value.

Buy a bowrider and then close off the bow with a custom canvas cover. When you get ready to sell it take off the cover and you'll be happy you did.

ziggy

Admiral

Just wondering but why do you want a closed bow? Would you rather not have the people carrying capacity of a bow rider?
well, the op says they look cool. and i agree.

i just stumbled into my closed bow boat. and i've liked it ever since i got it. albeit, my closed bow boat also has a sliding hardtop + aft curtain. i've boated in the rain, hail and high winds. i boat in colder temps than my buddys w/br's.

i don't loose the under bow space as it works well for storage. i store extra pfd's there and my trash can and p, i mean bailing bucket there. + my sleeping bags when i over night on her. this is not lost space + the gear is out of sight, out of mind.

i sleep overnight on my boat, totally enclosed if i want.

while my hardtop makes some of this possible, i don't feel i lack for space. but i usually boat with 2, sometimes 3 or 4. never really wanted to take more folks for the kind of boating i do.

my last boat was a open bow tri hull. i've stuffed the bow on both that and my existing boat. sure is an eye opener when ya stuff a br into a wave. they fill up pretty fast, :wink: .stuff my closed bow and it just rolled right over the boat.
so there can be reasons to have a closed bow.

Closed bow boats are obsolete
imho, that's not quite true either. this thread has examples of closed bow boats that are new. + if ya think about it. it's mostly just day boaters on inland lakes that have bow riders (and they make great water sport boats). there are many examples of closed bow boats on the market both new and old. granted many are used on the ocean. while i've not been to the ocean. i'd think that closed bow would be desirable in that body of water.
just food for thought as to why some folk may want a closed bow boat.

if i was buying a new boat. the gt169 would be something i personally would be interested in checking out. it looks cool. :D and i think i'd like the ob power. my general style of boating is day boating/pleasure boating for two.

sd396

Recruit

Google Hourston Glasscraft, It's all they make.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

well, the op says they look cool. and i agree.

i just stumbled into my closed bow boat. and i've liked it ever since i got it. albeit, my closed bow boat also has a sliding hardtop + aft curtain. i've boated in the rain, hail and high winds. i boat in colder temps than my buddys w/br's.

i don't loose the under bow space as it works well for storage.

My bow cover completely encloses the bow seating and with the windshield closed the aft cockpit is just as warm and dry as if it were a closed bow boat. With the top side and aft curtains up we have often spent the night aboard. The underseat storage in the bow has way more room than my previous closed bow, plus its all easily accessible with a hatch, rather than having to get down on your hands and knees and reach thru a small opening in the bulkhead.

Maybe "obsolete" was a poor choice of words. But they have the same demand rating as a standup jetski. The consumer has found better choices - That's why there are few made anymore.

While not exactly what the OP specified, Checkmate builds a 21 ft. closed bow outboard. Also, up until 2011 they had a 20 ft. closed bow outboard, and they had a 17 ft. and 19 ft. closed bow outboard as recently as 2005. IMO these are great looking boats, I've always loved that style. I don't know if BPospisl79 would be interested in a slightly used boat, but those might fill the need.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Most of the closed bows made today are 20' and up. Not sure why someone would tell you they are obsolete? Guess some people think everybody wants a deck boat. Funny thing is just a little while back they started making 20-30' closed bows into bow riders and they didn't sell very good at all.

Donzi still makes the 16' and 18' classic that got them started with an i/o
DONZI - 18 Classic

Chriscraft makes a couple 20' closed bows.
New 2013 Runabouts, Sport Boats, Cruisers and Sport Yachts.

Bayliner makes a 19'
2013 Bayliner 192 Discovery | Bayliner Boats

I'd go OB though on a boat that size though.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

In the past I had open boats, the 3 with a cuddy. The last 3 were CCs and never again. The cuddy on this boat reminds me of all the reasons they are preferable. My boat is rated for 9, same as the open model. I'd not put 9 into either and don't want a lot anyway. 4 - 6 is comfy,, 3 - 4 is preferred. No idea why anyone wants to load or overload a boat with people! It does get cool here in winter-- so shut the boat down or freeze. The ocean kicks up a bit so watch the water run off the bow or get wet. Nice lockable storage and ladies like privacy when nature calls.