Using a hitch extender

dozer1013

Seaman
Boat and trailer combined weigh right around 3000
I tow it with a class 2 on a 2004 Explorer
Where I launch is a little shallow and where the water starts it's extremely slippery so I don't want to back into the water with the back tires at all
I think if I could get the boat in just a few more inches, loading and unloading would be much easier
I found a 6 inch hitch extender online cheap
Where I launch is only a couple hundred yards from my house so I'm not traveling far and don't exceed 10 or 15 miles an hour at the most

So I'm wondering if I can get away with using the extender with my current setup?

agallant80

Commander
Re: Using a hitch extender

I think I would go for liquid rollers on the bunks first. If that did not work then I would reluctantly use the hitch extender.

oldjeep

Admiral

I would make sure that the hitch extender you found is meant for trailering and not for moving bike racks away from the back of the vehicle. Class 2 is a pretty tiny tube and it seems odd that anyone is making towing hitch extenders for them.

dozer1013

Seaman

being the newby that I am, I had never heard of liquid rollers but after reading about it just a little bit, that seems like the way to go!

Off to the marine store I go!!

Thanks for the enlightenment

dozer1013

Seaman

I think I would go for liquid rollers on the bunks first. If that did not work then I would reluctantly use the hitch extender.

Reading that silicon spray works just as well.

Would you agree?

I can get it cheaper at wally world and that's a lot closer than heading West

However I do not mind making the trip if the liquid rollers performs better (everything I've read says it works great!)

agallant80

Commander

I bought liquid rollers and it works. If you tried something else and it did not work how much of a PITA would it be to clean it off?

dozer1013

Seaman

I bought liquid rollers and it works. If you tried something else and it did not work how much of a PITA would it be to clean it off?

probably more of a PITA than the $4 or $5 bucks saved is worth, that's for sure

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use an 8" hitch extender from U Haul. However, mine is CLASS III.

My boat weight is about the same.

The short distance you are going is probably OK. However, i wouldn't go on the highway or any farther with the Class II receiver.

The extra length allowed me to keep my wheels completely out of the water.

agallant80

Commander

By the way that can of liquid rollers will last you, well I don't know how long. I have applied it twice this season and the can is still pretty full. I think I will get at least 2 if not 3 or more seasons out of the can. Tip: only libe the part of the bunks (rear) where the boat has to slit up. I spray about 2/3 of the bunk leanght.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I think a 6" extension would be a waste of time.

Why not get a 1.25" to 2" adapter, and then get an 18" extension?

HTAD_1000.jpg

he18_1000.jpg

If you are uncomfortable towing like this, then just install the adaptor and extension once you get to the ramp.

Or, you could add 34" to the trailer tongue, for $200.

3x3_class2_closed.gif

Or..... you could possibly lower the boat on the trailer.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_20130803_013223_085.jpg
My homemade 4' hitch extender. Made to handle my 4000 pound boat/trailer combo, with a bike rack :D (Or 2 bike racks :eek: )
Made 2 years ago in my free time for $20. Not recommended unless you know what you are doing though.

P.S. Safety chain extenders to my truck's hitch. Not the end of the hitch extender like most prebuilt long hitch extenders.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can either go with Roscoe's suggestion or a local welder can make you a custom extension. Either of those options other than the tongue extension are only suitable for launching and not for towing even short distances.

I bought the Fulton hinge and added about 40" to my tongue length. I look a little silly going down the road, it's like driving a tractor trailer for turns but my feet stay dry and the boat floats off on these shallow ramps.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If you go with an extension you need to ditch the class 2 hitch and upgrade to a 3 or 4.... then 6" won't make any difference but you'll have the strength for a longer extension

If you go trying to use an long extension on the class 2 hitch I think you run the chance of bending your hitch or possibly even damaging the frame on your truck depending on how the small hitch is attached

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 206194
My homemade 4' hitch extender. Made to handle my 4000 pound boat/trailer combo, with a bike rack :D (Or 2 bike racks :eek: )
Made 2 years ago in my free time for $20. Not recommended unless you know what you are doing though.

P.S. Safety chain extenders to my truck's hitch. Not the end of the hitch extender like most prebuilt long hitch extenders.

Looking at the picture I might suggest that the welder be cranked up a little more, Welds look pretty cold. :faint2:

LK