Anyone want to "Pimp my Boat"? ......

Hi all,

My mom has been nagging my dad to get rid of his boat for years. It is a 21 ft 1976 Cruisliner Raven. My dad has been wanting to fix up this boat for years. It has been sitting in our driveway for 10 years, and has not been covered, so basically it needs to be gutted and a new floor, put in. I love those "Pimp my ride" or "Rock my RV" shows, and was hoping that I could find some guys who work on boats, who could help me get this boat back in the water.

My dad said the engine is a really good one for this boat, except for the fact that the last time it ran,it got stuck in weeds in the Chain o Lakes, and burned out. So I am thinking there is some engine damage as well.

Are there any people out there who work on boats that want a winter project? Or, can you recommend a good shop in the McHenry or Kane County area that will be fair with pricing?

The outside of the boat is great, no issues at all.

Basically... need :

New floors, new seats, new kitchenette area (I may be able to make something custom for this myself) Motor worked on.

If there is anyone that could come give me an estimate of about how much something like this would cost, please let me know!

Thanks!

Karen

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone want to "Pimp my Boat"? ......

You posted on international forum.
Try local Craigs List instead.

agallant80

Commander

Im going to go with the cost will be $money-pit. How much rot is there? Are the stingers rotted out? Is the transom soft (which means rot) is the motor blown? Is the drive blown? All of these will determine how much the cost is to repair.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

+ the cost of fuzzy dice, fuzzy dash cover, wide brim "pimp" hat etc...... ;-)

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

You will be able to buy an almost new replacement for the cost of repairs...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Unless you want to do the entire resto yourself, forget it. Nobody'll take on a project like that unless they own the boat, and paying someone else to do it will cost you 10x what a decent runner will cost.

It's been sitting uncovered and unused for 10 years. Believe me, the rotten floor is the tip of the iceberg in terms of structural issues. This isn't a 'Pimp My Ride' candidate. Try 'Overhaulin'.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

There is nothing to salvage there. It would be like calling "pimp my ride" to work on a 1982 Ford Grenada with a blown engine, rusted out body, locked transmission and ripped up seats.

The type of thinking that "it's perfect except..." never works in a boat. It's all revealed here: "My dad said the engine is a really good one for this boat, except for the fact that the last time it ran,it got stuck in weeds in the Chain o Lakes, and burned out." Your dad is attached to a project he can't do (10 years!) and won't let go.

I think a TV show like "Hoarders" is more along what you are looking for.

pckeen

Commander

Hi,

There are a number of people who will restore old boats in our area, but I don't know yours. You're best bet is to go to a few Marinas, tell them toy want to have a boat restored, and ask if they have recommendations on who could do this.

Some companies can give you quotes based on photos, others will want to see the boat in person.

The cost will depend on what you want to have done.

Good luck!

ziggy

Admiral

You will be able to buy an almost new replacement for the cost of repairs...
imho, that's the crux of the situation.
i have a boat like the op's in my back yard. some day i'd like to restore it. but i figure somewhere between $10-$15K to fix it up good. + time to do the deed. and i believe it would be very labor intensive. while i like boats a lot. i want to go boating. not be working on a boat for years to come and then go boating. i opted to just get a different boat when this happened to me. i got another used boat that was serviable for $4500, pre recession. ya might even be able to do better than that now a days. be on the water having fun instead of fixing up the old stuff.

64osby

Admiral

If you and/or Dad has a spare 5k +, 200 hours +, average tool skills and DESIRE; it can be done. Just look at all the restorations here on iboats.

Welcome to the site.

Hi All,

Thanks for responding to my initial post. I am willing to pay the $ to get it done, but just need to find a good, honest mechanic and someone to do the work without ripping me off, since I know nothing about boats.

If anyone knows of someone in the Northern IL area, please let me know.
Thanks!

Karen

Edit: removed email address. Respond via PM. Safer that way ;)

If you and/or Dad has a spare 5k +, 200 hours +, average tool skills and DESIRE; it can be done. Just look at all the restorations here on iboats.

Welcome to the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'm betting it will take $10K to $15K.....

Welcome to the site.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, welcome to the site there is a lot of knowledge and experience here that can teach you or even show you how to do certain things. Jay (Friscoboater) has a wealth of great youtube videos and how to's. If it were me I would work on the boat with my dad and have it done as a family project. IMO y'all would enjoy much more than if you were to pay somebody to do it. However, you have to ask yourself a few questions first.
1. How much do you love this boat?
2. Are you willing to put many hours and possibly a few thousand dollars into materials?
3. What is your skill level with basic tools/saws?
If you answer yes to these than yes I would do the resto as a family. Heck, have mom take pictures or video while you and dad work on it. The motors are not that much different than a car or truck motor and I am told the drives are not too awful bad to work on either. But this way when its done y'all will have much more of a sense of pride and a "We built this" or "We did this ourselves". To me that's one of the greatest feelings in the world. I can't wait till my 2 sons are old enough for me to do a good project like a boat or old muscle car with them and I'd have given anything to do something like this with my dad. Whatever your choice I wish you luck. If you choose to find a shop you can try marinemax and see if they have a site near you.

Chris

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgRestoring mine as we speak, if I paid the $80.00 an hour it would be $5,780.00 buck's. I work there,and get the shop free,just materials.
All I have done is the teardown,the transom rebuilt. Still have to do the rest. Not much time to do it in the summer as we work hard every day, and need the rest in the heat. Material's are at $350.00 right now,cost+.04 percent.expect to spend about $1500.00-2000.00 by the time I'm done,but it's mine and I like it. 17' 1985 Larson, 140 mercruiser, run's perfect, and if it break's I can fix it. So if ya want a total restore at a shop, expext to pay a few nickles to get er done. Ya mine will never be worth what I have in it,but it'll still be mine and going strong for quite some time. I'd like to note that the only time I work on it is after work,and some saturday mornings,wich makes time add up quickly, starting and stopping any job takes up alot of time,cleaning up,putting thing's away and dragging them back out to start up again. If you can do it yourself, you would be intamently one with the boat, know how it is and feel safe when out on the water. No dependin on someone else to save ya. As Hawker say's $20.000 at a shop.......

Last edited:

Ok- I LOVE this boat. It was bought the year I was born - 1976, and my dad LOVES it too.

We are both very handy with tools. We have been restoring my old farmhouse, and I know my way around a circ saw, table saw, and a whole other slew of tools.

My issue is, we have NO clue where to even start, and I don't want to accidentally ruin the boat or something if we tear things out. So, if we do the work ourselves, which we are willing to do, are there people who would come out and guide us thru it. Of course---- I'd pay them.

I just feel like, if I can get the floor, stringers and transom replaced it would be a good start. We could do everything else ourselves. I was hoping to get the stringer and floor replaced for about $4,000 but after reading all of these posts, it seems like it is going to be waaaaay over that amount in a shop. Ugh.

First off, welcome to the site there is a lot of knowledge and experience here that can teach you or even show you how to do certain things. Jay (Friscoboater) has a wealth of great youtube videos and how to's. If it were me I would work on the boat with my dad and have it done as a family project. IMO y'all would enjoy much more than if you were to pay somebody to do it. However, you have to ask yourself a few questions first.
1. How much do you love this boat?
2. Are you willing to put many hours and possibly a few thousand dollars into materials?
3. What is your skill level with basic tools/saws?
If you answer yes to these than yes I would do the resto as a family. Heck, have mom take pictures or video while you and dad work on it. The motors are not that much different than a car or truck motor and I am told the drives are not too awful bad to work on either. But this way when its done y'all will have much more of a sense of pride and a "We built this" or "We did this ourselves". To me that's one of the greatest feelings in the world. I can't wait till my 2 sons are old enough for me to do a good project like a boat or old muscle car with them and I'd have given anything to do something like this with my dad. Whatever your choice I wish you luck. If you choose to find a shop you can try marinemax and see if they have a site near you.

Chris

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Well,read the restoration forum's, study up, and you will be guided through the process with confidence and satisfaction with the advice given on this website. I can't tell ya how many boaters I've told about this website that thank me for leading them here, but,this site hasn't taken away from our workload either. They learn,they like the help,they also ask for help when they can't handle the repairs themselves..
Hope ya save the boat and glad you want to restore it!
Grub

Hey all,
Thanks for the advice. I put out feelers to a few shops in my area and they are going to come to me to inspect the boat and give me an estimate. I feel like I would rather some professional do the floor, stuff, and I can do the layout, seats, make custom cabinets for the stove and sink etc. I've been looking on a lot of Century forums and this boat was a beauty on the water.

I am definitely going to be using these forums !!!!!

Karen

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look up a user by the name of Friscoboater on here. He has several excellent youtube videos that cover everything you might have to do structure wise. Replacing the floor and stringers doesn't look too difficult just time consuming and tedious with removal of the foam. Here is his Youtube page FriscoJarretts - YouTube. You should have no problems after watching the videos that he made when restoring his Sea Ray. I have never done a restore on a boat yet, but I have done s house, several muscle cars and a few show cars. I have watched most of his videos and I have to say that I would be able to do anything that needed to be done. You will need a cut off wheel to remove the floor fiberglass and a sawsall for the stringers.

+1 to what grub said, the restoration forums are a great place to learn and to start with the project. You'll want to read up there before even reaching for a tool. Me personally I would start by core sampling several areas by drilling into the wood at the transom and several spots along the stringers. If you find good wood then seal with 5200.

Best of luck to you.

Chris

NYBo

Admiral

While it appears daunting, with reasonably good skills with woodworking tools, this can certainly be a DIY job. A lot depends on time factors. How much do you and your father have to devote to the project, and how soon do you want to be out on the water?