Another 470 update/Q)

I would love to update my Boat thread with pictures if I could get the darn thing in the water:facepalm:

Not that I had a ton of money to throw at my new purchase but wanted to know it was not going to blatantly fail me when water testing it myself, i brought it in to my local marine shop:

did the impeller since i did not know history (saw old core in boat other day and it looked like new...ounce of prevention...) while they looked into water/electrical test.

was called back and told motor was stalling out on shift, needed to replace shift cable, waited for parts to be ordered.
called back today and was told gimbal bearing is seized. boat had sat for 2 seasons, would this be enough to lock up bearing?

Not getting racked over the coals with repair cost yet but getting close to not seeing it in the water if anything else pops up.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Another 470 update/Q)

gimbal bearing is seized. boat had sat for 2 seasons, would this be enough to lock up bearing?

Maybe, if there was some moisture in there and it had not been properly greased. Seized is kind of a vague term, it could be that when they tried to turn it, it was stuck and did not turn easily. I'll bet they could easily get it freed up to turn, but the fact that it was stuck at all says that it needed to be replaced. As a side note, all of the stuff they are doing is stuff that you could learn to do yourself and save a ton of money. It is not that difficult and there is a lot of folks to help here. Good luck.

thanks again stony, you described it accurately, it was a combo platter.
I would do an impeller myself under different circumstances to this, but overall I would prolly avoid anything too extensive myself. I was even prepared to not put anything into this and just sell it as I got a ton of value in the purchase (barter really) and was (am) ready to just turn a profit if it was a possible money-pit.
this site had paid dividends already with educating me on the 470 issues to watch for. I am a dude that historically puts the time into rehabbing the cosmetics and leaving the technical to others. This boat was pristine in most regards cosmetically so other than keeping it spit shined, i might have to do some of the inevitable motor/drive work myself:joyous:weeeehhh!

nola mike

Vice Admiral

I'd have them check/replace the bellows while they're in there. Especially if you're going to pay someone to do it, better to do it now than later.

NolaMike...
thanks they r doing the bellows as well. I asked about that 2day...
knock on woodrot, have not been called back and work is supposed 2 be done by end of day!
more fallish weather in TC area this weekend. weird for august.