Boats are very time consuming and expensiave

agallant80

Commander
Not a question as much as a rant but I was thinking of my new boat that I bought in Fed 2013 and what has been done to it this year so far. Lets see

Things that broke:
Fresh water pump
Thermostat got clogged with sand
Top end of Bravo3 had to be replaced
Flat tire on trailer

Things I have done:
Replace all light bulbs with LED bulbd
install LED accent lighting in cockpit and cabin
Install 15" TV in cabin
Buy dishes, sheets, pillows and decorations for cabin
Install chart plotter
Always cleaning the boat
Make snap on cover for boat
Relocate A/C pump to below water line so it does not need to be primed
Install underwater LED lights on transom
*** 60 feet of chain
add additional CO detectors

You really have to love tinkering with things and have some real free time and cash to own one of these things.

MAC ATTACK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boats are very time consuming and expensiave

I would just love to be able to own a boat like that! Sounds like you are really making it nice and fun to cruise in. Congratulations!

cptbraine40

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with MAC ATTACK, I would love to own a boat like that. I have an 18" Bowrider without a single issue now (runs perfect, starts right up, just about everything is new on it). I will trade ya! :D Just think, no more repairs.............less gas.............less maintenance

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I kind of feel the same way.

Why don't boat builders use a composite material instead of wood that wont rot on a transom or other areas? I think by now they understand that wet wood doesn't hold up.

If you had to change a water pump impeller on a car every year I dont think many people would buy it.

Plastic impeller housings...why?

I understand boats are a completely different animal and costs factor in but it just seems like a few of these issues could be over come with re-engineering the design instead of just accepted by the buyer.

My .02

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the redneck idea is great, attach a trolling motor and table umbrella to a wooden park bench with pontoons under it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 21' cuddy on a purchased indoor dry slip. No payments on the boat or slip. I still figure about $1000 monthly in gas and expenses, some months a little less and some a bit more.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Now you know where the old saying come from. B.O.A.T. B - Break, O - Out, A - Another, T - Thousand

Slip Away

Lieutenant

You really have to love tinkering with things and have some real free time and cash to own one of these things.

Owned a 28ft. cruiser and a 31ft. Cruiser. after 8 years of owning them, I would not want one again. The cash, time, maintenance, eventually
took over the novelty of owning these type boats. Having much more trouble free fun, less expense, easier maintenance with the 20' bowrider.
We did enjoy our years with express cruisers, but things and priorities change, and we are so happy to be out of that type lifestyle.
So enjoy the boat while your enthusiasm and finances are still available.

haulnazz15

Captain

I kind of feel the same way.

Why don't boat builders use a composite material instead of wood that wont rot on a transom or other areas? I think by now they understand that wet wood doesn't hold up.

They do, but it costs significantly more. Cobalt, Chris Craft, Formula, Chapparal, etc all use composite stringers/transoms now, and have been for the past decade or so. It's about price points, and the higher-end boats could justify the higher costs of composite materials.

Also, plastic impeller housings is kind of a moot point, as the impeller housing isn't generally what needs to be replaced, it's the rubber vane impeller itself that wears down. Also, salt water eats metal, so unless everything is made of SS (expensive), the plastic is fine.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think a lot of first year costs are expected with any boat new or used: It comes with the setup, personalization.

The difference is if you like it or not? For those who don't like to tinker or aren't mechanical- they better have deep pockets to be able to pay someone every-time something breaks or needs service.

agallant80

Commander

We did enjoy our years with express cruisers, but things and priorities change, and we are so happy to be out of that type lifestyle.

I really do enjoy the cruiser with that said it is a much larger project to take the boat out. You tend to food shop, plan long trips etc. With the bow rider I had before it was just "lets throw it in the water for a few hours"

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

EdgeWater has not used any wood in a long time, same with McKee Craft (sadly, McKees are no longer built). There are others too but as you stated-- they are on the more expensive side. Those builders most often provide much more for the added cost too. Premium hardware, lifetime hull warranty,,, and the list goes on.

They do, but it costs significantly more. Cobalt, Chris Craft, Formula, Chapparal, etc all use composite stringers/transoms now, and have been for the past decade or so. It's about price points, and the higher-end boats could justify the higher costs of composite materials.

Also, plastic impeller housings is kind of a moot point, as the impeller housing isn't generally what needs to be replaced, it's the rubber vane impeller itself that wears down. Also, salt water eats metal, so unless everything is made of SS (expensive), the plastic is fine.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Definitely a life style! You have to love boating otherwise you'll start just hating the things.

The first year with a boat is always expensive as you make it yours and work the kinks out. Once those kinks get worked out and you get to know your boat you will generally spend a lot less time maintaining.

If you don't like to tinker you better have a good sized wallet to pay someone for all the maintenance.

I have a partner on my new boat and it was the best decision I've made. Splitting the costs and maintenance time makes the boat much much more enjoyable.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Owned a 28ft. cruiser and a 31ft. Cruiser. after 8 years of owning them, I would not want one again. The cash, time, maintenance, eventually
took over the novelty of owning these type boats. Having much more trouble free fun, less expense, easier maintenance with the 20' bowrider.

Probably a few years down the road for me, but I foresee my attitude changing, too. I love the express, but it's August and we haven't done an overnight yet this year! In the meantime, two issues that the marina 'fixed' before we splashed it, have resurfaced and will need to be fixed again when she goes into hibernation. The cost, complexity and constant tinkering sometimes take a toll.

Ah, well- I'm mostly bitchin' because one of my projects (new wood backing structures and upholstery for the cockpit coaming and stern seatback) isn't turning out quite as well as I'd hoped. It's been a really big job and I haven't done anything like it before. I may have to re-do part of it and I've already got nearly 100 hours invested in it.

Hopefully this month will bring some better times aboard, but on days like this I wish I still had the 21' Pro-Line WAC (my first boat).

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Tinker?
You need mechanical skills to own a boat, snow machine, dirt bike, atv ect.
My new boat need trim lines replaced, which I did myself eventually. And now another line is leaking. But I think they can fix this under warranty.
Once the ignition came loose and I had to remove the panel to get it working and the boat started. But we were way out on the lake with no chance of drifting to shore.
Yeah, you need to know how to tinker.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Been there and done that. Now the boat is kept on an indoor dry stack. When I return I clean the inside and the marina girls take her out, rinse the hull and motor. When maintenance needs done I tell the dockmaster and it gets done. Once a year they pull her to be detailed and do a great job. At this time I'd rather fish or cruise than 'tinker' which means work.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the ammount of work involved. It sure aint like a car that can sit in the driveway & start it up & go. I do like working on my boat, Added shelves in some of the storage lockers, 19" TV/DVD, modified the canvas to work better when overnighting, replaces the stupid pull out faucett in the head with a "normal" one, Etc - It's just all the other crap I hate - Mowing the lawn, Washing the cars, Etc.

LK

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Tinker?
You need mechanical skills to own a boat, snow machine, dirt bike, atv ect.

You don't need mechanical skills if you have a deep wallet. I know plenty of people at the lake that know there is an engine hatch and that is about it.

Tinkering = small repairs or stuff that doesn't need to really be done. First season with a boat I always do a ton of tinkering putting in new lights, stereos, etc. to make it mine.

Maintenance - you do need mechanical skills, or pay a pro.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you bought a used boat. That's your problem. My new boat only costs me pennies a year (figuratively).

Even if it cost me thousands a year, the value would be priceless.

My neighbor did and feels like you. So he sold it and now he just sits in the backyard chewing on his cud and reading the newspaper page by page. Best value for him because he spends no money and best value for the rest of us because we don;t have to tow him back in.

tpenfield

Staff member

Not a question as much as a rant but I was thinking of my new boat that I bought in Fed 2013 and what has been done to it this year so far. Lets see

Things that broke:
Fresh water pump
Thermostat got clogged with sand
Top end of Bravo3 had to be replaced
Flat tire on trailer

Things I have done:
Replace all light bulbs with LED bulbd
install LED accent lighting in cockpit and cabin
Install 15" TV in cabin
Buy dishes, sheets, pillows and decorations for cabin
Install chart plotter
Always cleaning the boat
Make snap on cover for boat
Relocate A/C pump to below water line so it does not need to be primed
Install underwater LED lights on transom
*** 60 feet of chain
add additional CO detectors

Yup, that's boats for you, It doesn't matter if they are new or used, still lots of stuff to do.

I have a similar list for my F-330SS. . .