I hate MarineTek!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You ever try to fill any hole or scrape with this stuff? First of all it is very hard to mix in the right proportions, in small amounts, because of the different consistancy of the resin and the hardner. It's a 5 to 1 ratio with a 10% variation allowance.<br /><br />Once you take a wild guess about the mix the stuff is so sloppy that it goes everywhere but in the holes. Then when you get it there it does not want to fill the holes, it just pooches out.(at least vertical surfaces) Of course when you try to sand the mess down, everything around it is softer so you sand thru the surrounding gel coat.<br /><br />Grrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: I hate MarineTek!

Hey Boom, is there a reason you don't use a poly based milled fiber filler and/or the one with longs strands of fiberglass (cat's hair)? It's not too hard to use, not too sensitive to hardener level and, because it's poly based, can be finished with gelcoat. You can also fill large areas usually w/o running. W a few tricks, there is very little sanding needed too...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I shoulda looked for an alternative Ralph. This is the second coat to fill 10 holes from an old set of fixed trim tabs.(whew, what a butt buster they were) I'll still have to give another coat as there are still dimples that did not fill. I just thought this was supposed to be the hot patch stuff, especially below the waterline.<br /><br />I am all drilled up for my new Smart Tabs. Can hardly wait to finish the boat so I can get out and try them.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have used it for filling big scratches and gouges on the hull. Put it on with a putty knife and very little sanding is needed. Filling screw holes that were 3/8" took two coats with sanding between and after, but I don't think the second coat was from shrinkage, I think it was from sagging. It's not quite as thick as peanut butter, but close. <br /><br />Let us know how the Smart Tabs work.

SliderM72

Seaman

I've had the same bad experiences with MarineTex.<br />If you are lucky enough to mix it correctly it's o.k. but if not watch out!<br />The manufacturers should try to set up a foolproof mixing system for it.<br />I love West System! Haven't screwed it up yet.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I love that stuff. I've used it for gouges & small holes - use a tablespoon to mix up six tbls. at a time or a quarter cup if you got a really big job.<br /><br />slap it on with a putty knife, it stays where you put it, you don't have to layer in thick applications. Stuff it into screw holes with a chopstick or pencil.<br /><br />great stuff.