MC-1 Trim Ram Leaking - Repair Or Replace?

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of the power trim rams has developed an oil leak around where the inner shaft exits the outer housing seal. Is it worth messing about with installing a new seal kit in a thirty year old ram or would I be better off investing me a new (pair) of SEI rams?
I currently have an SEI106 outdrive mated to an MC1 transom assembly. My trim cylinders are the type which has a hose at both ends of the outer trim cylinder, not both attached at the front. When it came to mounting the new SEI drive I found that I had to rotate the trim cylinder 180 degrees otherwise the rear hose would not clear the bigger cavitation plate of the Alpha 1 style drive. This arrangement puts undue load and twist on the hoses, so I was wondering whether, if I'd do end up buying new rams am I able to fit later moder Alpha 1 type rams to the old MC1 transom, ie are the mounting pins / bushes going to be comparable?

Cheers

Bondo

Staff member
Re: MC-1 Trim Ram Leaking - Repair Or Replace?

One of the power trim rams has developed an oil leak around where the inner shaft exits the outer housing seal. Is it worth messing about with installing a new seal kit in a thirty year old ram or would I be better off investing me a new (pair) of SEI rams?
I currently have an SEI106 outdrive mated to an MC1 transom assembly. My trim cylinders are the type which has a hose at both ends of the outer trim cylinder, not both attached at the front. When it came to mounting the new SEI drive I found that I had to rotate the trim cylinder 180 degrees otherwise the rear hose would not clear the bigger cavitation plate of the Alpha 1 style drive. This arrangement puts undue load and twist on the hoses, so I was wondering whether, if I'd do end up buying new rams am I able to fit later moder Alpha 1 type rams to the old MC1 transom, ie are the mounting pins / bushes going to be comparable?

Cheers

Ayuh,... They Should be interchangeable,...

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bondo. Obviously I would need different hoses too. Perhaps I will have a go with fitting new seals in the ram that I've got first, being the cheaper option, then look at upgrading.

fishrdan

Admiral

Perhaps I will have a go with fitting new seals in the ram that I've got first, being the cheaper option, then look at upgrading.

Just an FYI, buy the Mercury/Quicksilver rebuild kit (or maybe Sierra). I bought 2- GLM trim cylinder rebuild kits and each kit was missing 2 seals. GLM sent me the missing seals, but it was still a big inconvenience waiting a week to complete the repair...