470 outdrive whine ? 1987 alpha

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
after putting in new upper gears and bearings and seals & checking out lower completely !! took out on lake for 20 minutes or so -- out drive seemed to WHINE a lil bit but when i played with trim switch up/down (very little) it went away !!! then came back and went bye bye again
I thought it might be a power steering issue but pump was full and working well -- i have a feeling i should of replaced gimbal bearing when i had out drive off ? thanks--any help would be great

NHGuy

Captain
Re: 470 outdrive whine ? 1987 alpha

All you change with the trim is the drive angle. You say you can make the whine come and go. It's possible the upper input shaft gear cluster has fore & aft movement in it. I'd pull it to check. If you have the rolling torque gear set it might not be all the way tight. Since you have been that far into your drive you know how minute the adjustment tolerances are. Maybe you are off just a hair.
I'd pull and push on the input yoke to see if you can feel anything. Shouldn't even click as far as I know.
Did you torque the big retainer nut? If not the whole assembly can move.
There's a whole chart of torques based on how long your torque wrench arm is, have a look.

torquing u-joint bearing retainer.jpg

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain

Also if that stuff is right you can recheck your gear lash. Did you get the checking tool? I'd not expect it to be that though since the noise is not constant.
Lastly, I am no authority on this stuff. I'm just an interested amateur. If someone else comes along and calls me nuts, listen.

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All you change with the trim is the drive angle. You say you can make the whine come and go. It's possible the upper input shaft gear cluster has fore & aft movement in it. I'd pull it to check. If you have the rolling torque gear set it might not be all the way tight. Since you have been that far into your drive you know how minute the adjustment tolerances are. Maybe you are off just a hair.
I'd pull and push on the input yoke to see if you can feel anything. Shouldn't even click as far as I know.
Did you torque the big retainer nut? If not the whole assembly can move.
There's a whole chart of torques based on how long your torque wrench arm is, have a look.

View attachment 206016

Thank you for the chart -- i will be pulling drive off later today more than likely it is not tight enough

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nut on shaft came loose ? or i did not get tight enough to begin with -- which is the culprit --stupid mistake on my part -- will re-test on lake later today thanks for all the help i-boat members

achris

More fish than mountain goat

nut on shaft came loose ? or i did not get tight enough to begin with -- which is the culprit --stupid mistake on my part -- will re-test on lake later today thanks for all the help i-boat members

Do you have a small spacer inside the drive gear bearing pack (between the bearings)? If you do, torque the nut to 70 to 80lb-ft, if no small spacer, you MUST use the roller torque procedure...

Chris......

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ran very quiet as far as out drive goes --but shift cable is a little slow -- might replace or is there any way to lube this ? cutout switch is acting correctly but a little slow on the spring swivel ? if you follow me

achris

More fish than mountain goat

ran very quiet as far as out drive goes --but shift cable is a little slow -- might replace or is there any way to lube this ? cutout switch is acting correctly but a little slow on the spring swivel ? if you follow me

Cable can't be lubed. If it's getting sticky, it needs to be replaced. A sticky cable may also account for the cutout switch returning slowly too... If you press on the lever that activates the switch it should be crisp and return easily... If it's sticky in the pivot point, pull it off and spray a small amount of silicone on the pivot...

Chris.....