Adjusting idle on a 1978 Evinrude 140 hp crossflow motor (model 14083C)

Spanish#007

Cadet
I've heard that the timing and idle are combined on these motors. I'm not real familiar with how that works. I do know that my boat is idling at about 500-700 RPMs but it seems low as it dies often, expecially after running it hard for a while. I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, but plan on doing that next along with the fuel screen, which I have located. I ran some seafoam thru it and sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake but haven't noticed a difference. I has a new fuel line and a fuel pump kit was done on it last yr by the previous owner. It's on a 1979 lund 17' fiberglass boat It seems to want to die when going from idle to WOT to pull up skiers and such, also when I have it in gear but at the lowest setting to pull into a dock or onto my trailer. I found what I thought was an idle screw and it is all the way screwed in to max idle, the only other way I see to adjust it is with the plastic thing on the throttle linkage (see pic, which is not my boat my idle bolt is all the way threaded down). I was going to take it apart and turn it a few turns. The screw in the pic is all the way down (again pic isn't my motor) so I was planning on taking off the plastic deal (that is half cutoff in the pic) on the threaded part and moving a few turns higher? Does that seem right? I also noticed another screw on up higher on the motor that looks like it would adjust the timing as well.

Also does anyone know how many ft/lbs on the spark plugs torque? I am in the process of ordering a manual but can't decide which brand to get, after some research looks like i should go OEM service manual.

Evinrude 140_idle adjustment.jpg

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Adjusting idle on a 1978 Evinrude 140 hp crossflow motor (model 14083C)

Did it ever run ok for you or have you just bought it?
Which screw is screwed to max?
If you were getting fuel too soon it would bog

Spanish#007

Cadet

Did it ever run ok for you or have you just bought it?
Which screw is screwed to max?
If you were getting fuel too soon it would bog

It's always had this problem, it runs...it just dies sometimes when idling...not every minute, but every 2-10 minutes so it's really not that bad. As I mentioned it seems to happen more after I've been running it hard....when I 1st put it in it runs good then starts to want to die. I think turning the idle up will fix the issue, but as I stated I heard the timing and idle were one in the same? Not sure how that works but I was going to turn the plastic thing I mentioned. The bolt I'm referring to that is all the way threaded is the bolt in the barely above middle of the pic, in the pic it isn't all the way down as I'm at work and couldn't take a pic of my boat I found another thread on here with the same motor as mine and used it instead. Same motor. Evinrude 1040843C

EDIT: TO BE MORE CLEAR THE BOLT THAT IS THREADED THRU THE METAL PC AND HAS A CYLINDRICAL PC ON THE END, LOOKS LIKE A STOP SCREW.
Thx for you help in advance

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

To the right of the photo there is a cam, you need to make sure/adjust that thread so that the roller is aligned up with the start mark written on the cam when the engine idle throttle lever is lifted to start. You also need to check that when you push full throttle the carb butterfly is horizontal and that it is totally closed at idle.

Does she idle ok when cold?
You also should check that the heads arent getting too hot

Bosunsmate

Admiral

If you can do a compression and spark test, that way you can be sure you arent dealing with some other trouble that someones tried to adjust their way out of

Spanish#007

Cadet

If you can do a compression and spark test, that way you can be sure you arent dealing with some other trouble that someones tried to adjust their way out of

Sounds good, I have both testers at home, I just haven't gotten around to it.....I'll do that tonight, or this weekend and report back. Thx!!

Spanish#007

Cadet

Just an FYI for the orig post: the reason I can't tell if it's 500 or 700 RPMs is because the tach doesn't work great when idling, not sure if it bounces because the timing is off or because the gauge is broken, its steadier when throttle is applied but still moves up and down a bit

Spanish#007

Cadet

To the right of the photo there is a cam, you need to make sure/adjust that thread so that the roller is aligned up with the start mark written on the cam when the engine idle throttle lever is lifted to start. You also need to check that when you push full throttle the carb butterfly is horizontal and that it is totally closed at idle.

Does she idle ok when cold?
You also should check that the heads arent getting too hot

She seems to idle better when cold, yes she does

I'll have to get a temp gun to check the temperature of the heads

I may need more detail on the cam alignment.....what your saying is the marks should line up with the warm up lever in the start position?

I can check the butterfly

Thx again!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep the roller that opens/shuts the carb should line up where start is marked on that throttle cam.
Yep definitely do temp check, these generally run hottest at idle as the poppets stay shut so any sticking thermostat is a big problem and you then get bad running and eventually ring failure etc

Spanish#007

Cadet

OK, compression is 120 all the way around and I have spark. I tried to time this thing in a 95 gallon tank with my buddy who is a "mechanic." I wasn't sure if using a trashcan would produce enough back pressure and turns out it doesn't. It runs horribly now. I had to trun the idle screw back all the way down to get back onto the trailer. A couple questions I have now...

Big question: I thought I was supposed to check the timing at idle? After reading a manual I bought and also a few threads it seems I'm supposed to check the idle at WOT? How can I do this w/o hanging off the boat at 50 mph? Is there any way to test the timing at idle?

Reeves explains the below in his timing tutorial

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperature.

The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4? less than what the engine calls for.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28?, set the timing at 24?. The reasoning for the 4? difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4?.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4? which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.

My boat has a warm up lever...is this a "Fast Start feature?"
If so is he just saying don't engage the warm up lever while timing?

Is he basically saying just time it 4 degrees less than what the manual calls for? On my 78' Evin V4 140 hp it says it should be @ 28 degrees at full throttle....
Does this mean set it to 24 at idle?

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

I don't quite understand. Does he mean take out the plugs, then move to WOT position, then move the top timing screw all the way until the rubber touches?

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with timing motors and I haven't had any experience with 2 cycles besides my weedeater, and the 3 mnths I've had this boat.

When we were trying to set the timing in the 95 gal trash can it was at idle and was reading 8 degress, BUT the clip part of the timing light seemed to have broke. We weren't using a spark tester (although I have one). He was just attaching the clip to the #1 cylinder plug wire and shooting the light onto the flywheel and the timing mark was coming back at 8 degrees.

My buddy is bringing his other timing light to fix this but I would like to know how to do it before he comes over as I dont' think he is as much of a "mechanic" as he thinks he is. I'm pissed because I gave him $50 to do this, it was running okay in the can, and so so in the water while it was cold, I immediately adjusted the timing screw to higher idle and it was still running okay. My boat seems to run worse after driving a while as I mentioned in the original post.....

My boat seems to run fine when cold...even after running for several minutes....but when after I drive it hard for 10 minutes or so it starts to want to die at idle. This was happening before and also after I messed up the timing. While we were messing with the top timing adjustment I was having to adjust the idle screw out (lower rpm) to compensate because the more we adjusted it the higher it was idling. At 1st, I thought was good as I thought the idle screw all the way in was a bad thing, as previously mentioned most likely compensating for another issue. The plastic thing I referred to in the pic above is the cam yoke. It seems to be lined up fine.

Could anyone give me a better explanation of how to time, or a thread with more detail?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Id say its impossible to check idle at WOT
Yes bring your full advance stop to 24degrees
No you dont have fast start
"I don't quite understand. Does he mean take out the plugs, then move to WOT position, then move the top timing screw all the way until the rubber touches?
Yes to above
When throttle is at wot position check that timing base is pushing full up against the rubber stop and that the timing light is flashing at 24 deg BTDC. Adjust that rubber stop screw to make that happen

Last edited:

Spanish#007

Cadet

Id say its impossible to check idle at WOT
Yes bring your full advance stop to 24degrees
No you dont have fast start
"I don't quite understand. Does he mean take out the plugs, then move to WOT position, then move the top timing screw all the way until the rubber touches?
Yes to above
When throttle is at wot position check that timing base is pushing full up against the rubber stop and that the timing light is flashing at 24 deg BTDC. Adjust that rubber stop screw to make that happen

Thx soo much for the info!! This forum ROCKS!! Sorry to bother you again but a couple more questions for clarificaiton..

1. You stated it is impossible to check at WOT, therefore, you mean it should be at 24 degrees @ idle speed, or should I have my warm up lever fully engaged??

2. I take out the plugs and make sure the top timing screw is touching at WOT, with plugs out and boat off. This is just to get the timing "close" to where it should be correct? After this I then put the plugs back in start her up and check the timing at idle and set to 24 degrees??

3. Do I check the timing with the motor not running, just by turning it over without the fuel line hooked up?

When throttle is at wot position check that timing base is pushing full up against the rubber stop and that the timing light is flashing at 24 deg BTDC. Adjust that rubber stop screw to make that happen.

Do you mean try and do this on the water at idle, with the warm up lever all the way up, or with no plugs just turning her over? I have no way run this @ WOT unless I take off the prop, it seems to me taking off the prop would take away the resistance resulting in an inaccurate reading?

What difference does it make having the plugs out? The boat can't be running with the plugs out, I guess I just don't understand that step. Why take out the plugs? It seems the screws would be in the same place with the plugs in or with them out? Is this just for safety? OR are you saying to turn it over with the plugs out so it doesn't start but the flywheel spins? Can I adjust the timing in that manner? I had thought it was supposed to be running but again....I don't know much. Sorry I've kind of repeated questions.

I found another similar post stating:
1. Jumper neutral safety switch with jumper wire or wrap wire around each terminal.
2. Put trottle in WOT.
3. Pull plugs, replace plug wire and ground plug shells by wrapping wire around them and then to ground. This is important so that your cdi modules don't get cooked. Plus you can observe spark as engine is turning.
4. Connect timing light. If using advance type of light, set pointer to 0.
5. Loosten lock nut on timing tower adjustment screw.
6. This can be done two ways. A. have someone turn the ignition switch to start while you shoot the flywheel with the timing light. B. Buy a remote starter switch from sears or harbor freight for $20 and do it yourself.

# 3 is the same as removing using a spark tester, correct?

Again thx for all your help. I really, really, really appreciate it!! :D

Last edited:

Spanish#007

Cadet

Here is 5 pgs out of my manual regarding setting the timing for reference. Again, any help is greatly appreciated!!

Timing pg 1.jpgTiming pg 2.JPGTiming pg 3.JPGTiming pg 4.JPGTiming pg 5.JPG

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

1) Nope not 24degs at idle. as you move lever back to idle, timing will move to being something like 7degs Atdc (whatever your engine calls for)
Make sure engines warm, keep warm up lever off and use the timing stop to adjust minimum idle timing if needed.

2) no. timimg is 24deg at wot position. timing will move back as you move lever to idle position. Just make sure the timing light is flashing at 24BTDC at wot position

3) yes, but have engine warm and fuel line in there as you dont want the pistons running dry. Idle you adjust with it running and warm up lever off

Having plugs out means you can check it without hanging on the back of the motor going wot, the motor will say when its sparking whether on or off the motor so its much safer doing it with plugs out standing still

Spanish#007

Cadet

Thk you soo much!! I will try this tonight when I get home!!! So very much appreciate it...now I can stop banging my head on my desk:laugh:

1) Nope not 24degs at idle. as you move lever back to idle, timing will move to being something like 7degs Atdc (whatever your engine calls for)
Make sure engines warm, keep warm up lever off and use the timing stop to adjust minimum idle timing if needed.

2) no. timimg is 24deg at wot position. timing will move back as you move lever to idle position. Just make sure the timing light is flashing at 24BTDC at wot position

3) yes, but have engine warm and fuel line in there as you dont want the pistons running dry. Idle you adjust with it running and warm up lever off

Having plugs out means you can check it without hanging on the back of the motor going wot, the motor will say when its sparking whether on or off the motor so its much safer doing it with plugs out standing still

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the WOT timing is the most important, usually around 26 degrees. your manual will give you what is correct for your year and hp. I also think a 2 degree retarding is required to prevent the pistons from burning up as many of them do.

mark the flywheel with a crayon at your specific degree mark, run it WOT and shoot it with a timing light. make sure your within the required RPM range for your engine

the idle timing will fall somewhere between 4-6 degrees, do worry about that too much. adjust the idle screw until you get a nice smooth idle speed in forward gear in the water.

have you checked the carbs and 3 jets for debris?

Last edited:

Spanish#007

Cadet

I ran seafoam thru it and sprayed some carb cleaner, but no I haven't checked the carbs. I'm not very familiar with two strokes.

Is there a walk thru on how to check the carbs/jets on a similar motor to mine? I will start searching..

My questions I need answered ASAP to check the timing are:

My boat won't turn over in gear, and I don't have a neutral release button so that I can put it at WOT...all I have is a warm up lever?? My plan was to take out the plugs, push it to WOT, then move the timing screw till the rubber touches-with a pc of paper between fitting loose. Then turn it over with the plugs out in WOT and set it to 28 degress (minus 2 degrees, so 26 degrees) per Reeves explanation and Wayneo99 above. The problem is my boat won't turn over in gear so the only adjustment I can make without it running is with the startup lever...or to have someone manually hold it but that seems dangerous
WITH THIS SETUP IS THERE ANY WAY FOR ME TO CHECK IT AT WOT BESIDES IN A HUGE TEST TANK OR IN THE WATER? I DON'T HAVE A TEST WHEEL AND I CAN'T REALLY TIE TO A DOCK A WOT. I got my hands on a timing light and would like to do it today, out of the water if possible. So question is it okay to do it out of the water if the plugs are out? I realize running it would need to be in water,. what about with the plugs out? Thx Again!!! Any help is appreciated!!

I believe the WOT timing is the most important, usually around 26 degrees. your manual will give you what is correct for your year and hp. I also think a 2 degree retarding is required to prevent the pistons from burning up as many of them do.

mark the flywheel with a crayon at your specific degree mark, run it WOT and shoot it with a timing light. make sure your within the required RPM range for your engine

the idle timing will fall somewhere between 4-6 degrees, do worry about that too much. adjust the idle screw until you get a nice smooth idle speed in forward gear in the water.

have you checked the carbs and 3 jets for debris?

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Undo the gear cable inside the cowling so it stays in neutral
Just sit it in ta tub so the impeller doesnt run dry

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You can use muffs or remove the prop
keep plugs out for wot and put plugs in and run to check idle.
Increase idle minimum setting when in water if boat isnt idling high enough or is too high.
I dont think i can explain this anymore simply

Last edited:

Spanish#007

Cadet

OK, thx! And sorry, I was told you couldn't adjust the timing with muffs on. that's why we had used that trashcan, but it didn't work. See thread below on this forum stating a trash can won't work, or muffs...that it needs to be done in the water

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/can-i-synchonize-my-timing-using-trashcan-instead-tank-140-hp-622064.html
You can use muffs or remove the prop
keep plugs out for wot and put plugs in and run to check idle.
Increase idle minimum setting when in water if boat isnt idling high enough or is too high.
I dont think i can explain this anymore simply