Help putting CD-14 5.5 back together

I was replacing the impeller on my old motor, and said,"what the heck", I might as well go all the way and check the drive gears. MISTAKE!!! I can not, for the life of me get the lower end to seat properly to the mid section. I have even taken out the upper gear that rides on top of the forward and reverse gears. I can't even get it to dry fit without the third gear.
The casings seem to mis-align by about 1/4 ".
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Help putting CD-14 5.5 back together

are the bearings aligned with the pins? (prop end tab, front end pin)

I know the pin and tab you are referring to, but I can't even get close enough to worry about them...yet. The bottom gear housing and the upper housing it is screwed to will not align. The housings are about 1/4 inch off Horizontally and have about a 1/2 inch gap between them. I have struggled to no end moving the shifting linkage Forward, Reverse, and Neutral.....I'm Stuck:grumpy:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Can't imagine what you are doing wrong. But do this: Lay the prop shaft with gears and bearings in place, locating pins aligned with holes. Put shift rod in forward position (up, toward powerhead, detent spring in notch). Make sure shifter cradle is in place on clutch dog and dog engaging forward gear. and pivot pin in the shifter lever. Now, attempt to rotate gears on prop shaft. Should have just a hint of "click". If all that goes well, dry-try the skeg on the upper gearcase. Does it go now? It should.

Can't imagine what you are doing wrong. But do this: Lay the prop shaft with gears and bearings in place, locating pins aligned with holes. Put shift rod in forward position (up, toward powerhead, detent spring in notch). Make sure shifter cradle is in place on clutch dog and dog engaging forward gear. and pivot pin in the shifter lever. Now, attempt to rotate gears on prop shaft. Should have just a hint of "click". If all that goes well, dry-try the skeg on the upper gearcase. Does it go now? It should.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It will be a couple of days before I am able to egt back to it. But I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again! :encouragement::encouragement:

Is there a good parts schematic or Parts/Repair Manual download? I have been looking at the one on MarineEngine.com, but the parts list is so mis-labeled, it's not even funny!