2002 90hp yamaha ignition problems!!!!!

2002xpress

Recruit
I have a 2002 90hp yamaha 2stroke on an xpress boat and about a month ago the ignition switch messed up. So I took it apart and all the wires to the switch were melted together so we replaced the switch and now everything works fine except for the main hot wire (red wire) that runs to the side of the motor. when the ignition is on the wire gets extremely hot!!! and it even makes the short ground wire that is connected toward the lower part of the motor get red hot! I have checked about everything I know to check and cant figure it out? I know if i disconnect the wire from the ignition its fine it want get hot, that wire is also tied into the hot wire that runs the trim up and down. Just wondering if anybody has had this problem or knows what could be my problem???? thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2002 90hp yamaha ignition problems!!!!!

I believe you are talking about a bonding wire on lower unit that should not carry any current.
You have a bad ground somewhere and possibly a short on power wire as nothing should be drawing much current with just key turned to on