Newbie Restoring 1980 Beachcraft 16' Bowrider

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New to boating. Picked up a 1980 Beachcraft bowrider that my brother and I are going to attempt to clean up. Hull seems to be in good shape (I'm no expert). Got the 15 hp Johnson kicker running after repairing pull starter, installing new fuel pump, plugs and cleaning carb. The 50 HP Johnson main motor is seized so I am waiting on some WD40 to hopefully do it's thing. Interior will need completely redone, steering is locked but the cable feels like it is moving up to the arm that ties to the motor itself. No idea on electrical condition. Hoping to get her running by next summer. Wondering what I could use as a replacement motor (size wise) if I can't get the 50 going. Any general tips appreciated. 996553_698064063553688_1053815029_n.jpg

pckeen

Commander
Re: Newbie Restoring 1980 Beachcraft 16' Bowrider

Welcome to iboats.

OK - basically, you can put whatever size motor that boat is rated for. I assume there is a plate on it somewhere saying max horsepower - that is your answer. If there isn't, you'll need to do some research to work out what the max hp is.

If you need to replace the motor, you can put an outboard up to the maximum hp on the back. You shouldn't go over max hp. You can put less than max hp, but don't go less than 70% of the max, as if you do, the boat will lack power . When looking for a new motor, you need to be aware of the following:
  • motors come in different shaft lengths (short (15"), long (20"), extra long (25"), and a 30"). Yours is probably a long shaft, but you'll need to check. You will want to use the same shaft length, or the boat won't run well at all;
  • if you switch brand of motor, you will likely have to switch the controls (the throttle assembly near the steering wheel); The cost of this varies, but for new controls and an electric harness (electric cables between controls, other electric components and lights), you can be looking at $1000 or more for new.
  • if you switch era of motor - in other words, putting on a brand new one - you may have to switch your steering controls as well (several hundred dollars), and the steering wheel.

So if you buy a different motor, find out if you will also need new controls and steering components before diong this, and make sure you get the same shaft length.

Good luck!

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Peter, I will be sure to pay attention to shaft length if I have to replace. Would probably go with an early 90's model from this shop near my house that sells used outboards for a decent price with a 30 day warranty and the controls. Hopefully I can avoid that by getting this old one unseized though.

Welcome to iboats.

OK - basically, you can put whatever size motor that boat is rated for. I assume there is a plate on it somewhere saying max horsepower - that is your answer. If there isn't, you'll need to do some research to work out what the max hp is.

If you need to replace the motor, you can put an outboard up to the maximum hp on the back. You shouldn't go over max hp. You can put less than max hp, but don't go less than 70% of the max, as if you do, the boat will lack power . When looking for a new motor, you need to be aware of the following:
  • motors come in different shaft lengths (short (15"), long (20"), extra long (25"), and a 30"). Yours is probably a long shaft, but you'll need to check. You will want to use the same shaft length, or the boat won't run well at all;
  • if you switch brand of motor, you will likely have to switch the controls (the throttle assembly near the steering wheel); The cost of this varies, but for new controls and an electric harness (electric cables between controls, other electric components and lights), you can be looking at $1000 or more for new.
  • if you switch era of motor - in other words, putting on a brand new one - you may have to switch your steering controls as well (several hundred dollars), and the steering wheel.

So if you buy a different motor, find out if you will also need new controls and steering components before diong this, and make sure you get the same shaft length.

Good luck!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Be careful what you use to unsieze a 2cyl OB. You might try SeaFoam thru the spark plug hole instead of WD. Use a correct mix of 2cyl oil & gas in a trigger spray bottle to prime the carbs NEVER starting fluid.

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, what do you think of a 50/50 mixture of 2 cycle oil and gas in the cylinder and hitting it with a dowel through the spark plug hole. I know to make sure I don't break anything off inside.

Be careful what you use to unsieze a 2cyl OB. You might try SeaFoam thru the spark plug hole instead of WD. Use a correct mix of 2cyl oil & gas in a trigger spray bottle to prime the carbs NEVER starting fluid.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'f spray a bunch of this in it and tap with a wooden dowel

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm also planning to remove the lower unit for inspection and impeller replacement. Any tricks on that or is basically unbolting and dropping it down? The motor is a 1980 Johnson 50 HP Model #J50ELCSR

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dowels got me nowhere. Was about to call it blown when I decided I should pull the head to see what it looked like inside and hit it with something a little more robust. Got the head off and the cylinder walls look great. After whacking it for about an hour I gave up but decided to give the flywheel one last try and it gave me a 1/4". After wiggling it back and forth for awhile it now turns over no problem. Ordered my new head gasket and as soon as it's here I will reassemble and try to start it with the key after the carbs are cleaned. Fingers crossed.

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Discovered what appears to be a missing power pack where the 2 bolt holes are. Hoping to find a wiring diagram before the head gasket gets here. Planning to take the pack off my 15 horse to try to get the 50 going (according to microfiche they are the same part #).

IMG_0607.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm also planning to remove the lower unit for inspection and impeller replacement. Any tricks on that or is basically unbolting and dropping it down? The motor is a 1980 Johnson 50 HP Model #J50ELCSR

You'll need to unhook the shift linkage, lots of good "How-To" vids on Youtube for this... and a couple with knuckleheads that don't know what they're doing that are pretty funny.:D :rolleyes: