How do I change the oil properly (and which type) in an Eska Gamefisher 7.5?

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice
I did a search both on here and on the Googles and didn't come up with anything other than using standard gear oil. Is that right? I'm going to change the impeller, so when I have to replace the oil do I simply lay the outboard on the side and fill the fill hole until it's full? I presume I will need a gasket where I unbolt it? Thanks for the help, gents, hoping to try this motor out in a few days!!:D

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I change the oil properly (and which type) in an Eska Gamefisher 7.5?

You don't need a gasket where the lower unit separates, you you may have shift linkage that needs to be separated before it'll drop. How do you know you have an impeller?

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How do I change the oil properly (and which type) in an Eska Gamefisher 7.5?

The manual shows one in the parts diagram. I've been waiting on a fuel bulb to come in so I can actually try to start this, and it should be here today, so I can look for the telltale mist. Did some of these not have any water cooling at all?

I did see that I'm supposed to fill the oil while it's vertical, using 90w gear oil.

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it runs, so that's a good start. I did absolutely nothing but put fresh gas and crank it. It's not running the best, but considering the spark plug looks original and the carb is likely gummy, I'm pleased. Engages gear fine and promptly showed me that my recycle bin is not nearly large enough to use as a water tank. Suddenly the garbage can idea makes much better sense. With water above the cavitation plate, I let it idle for a while. I felt air puffing out of the nostrils on the leg, but no water or mist came out.

artesian

Cadet

So when i dropped the bottom skeg i found no oil at all in it. Everything was greased up heavily. Wondering if I should regrease and fill with oil or clean it up and just drop in gear oil?