Waking an Ocean Pro 115 from a long sleep

taskadog

Recruit
I have an OP 115 that had about 100 hrs. on a professional rebuild when I parked my boat three years ago.
I'm not sure of the year of the motor, and I don't see an ID plate. Where do I look?

After I sprayed corrosion blocker in each cylinder hole, the motor turned over smoothly in gear by turning the prop.

When I put ear muffs on and started to flush the motor, water came out from between the lower unit and the engine, as well as around the prop. Is this normal or am I looking at new seals?
Thanks, Phil

Last edited:

Geezer1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Waking an Ocean Pro 115 from a long sleep

There should be small round "plug" on the top of the motor, near the hoist bracket, that has a series of numbers stamped into it. Those numbers will tell you what motor you have. Depending on your motor, there may be a second plug somewhere on the motor with the same information. As far as the water exiting... there are a set of exhaust holes at the rear of the midsection where water should exit, once the motor warms up. Some water from prop area is normal. There are several videos showing 115 Evinrude outboard motors running on muffs on youtube. Perhaps viewing some of these will answer some of your questions. Hope I've been a little help, there are many on this site who are far more informed than I. Hopefully, they'll chime in. Geezer.

Geezer1

Seaman Apprentice

As an added note... I would rebuild the water pump before I ran it much at all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

And don't forget to check the gear case oil.