How to upholster this doghouse?

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer
I feel stuck on this part of my rebuild. I've already completely rebuilt all of the seats, and the rear part of the engine cover, but I'm stuck on the doghouse. I've looked at all of the big upholstery threads on here for inspiration, and it has helped tremendously.

I need some guidance as to where to start upholstering this doghouse I built. I'm planning to use 1/2" foam on all of the surfaces, and possibly 2" foam on the very top (undecided, maybe stick with 1/2").

I was thinking to just cut out the two side panels first, then one solid piece to go all the way down the middle, from the very top, over through the cup holders, and to the bottom at the deck. I'm not sure if I can get all of the corners tight, especially around the cup holders, if I go this route though, because there won't be any areas to pull and staple around the cup holders.

Note: the box on the very top of the doghouse isn't secured down yet. I'm planning to upholster it separately, then screw it down at the end after both parts are upholstered.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I haven't found anything quite like this to use for ideas.

Just for kicks, here are the bow seats. Not perfect, and I wish I had gone with a striped pattern, but oh well, I'm satisfied with it since it's my first sewing anything ever.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to upholster this doghouse?

IMG_5013.jpg No biggy, Lay your dog house on it's side and make a pattern ( L shape), Allow 1/2" seam allowance. Next lay your fabric on the top and down the front. Again leave a seam allowance and mark where the corners are. Now all you have to do is stitch the sides to the top/face. Take care to keep everything square as you go. Make marks along your seams if you need to. Do yourself a favor and knock down the corners and edges of your box. Pie cut your fabric where the cup holders go. Pull them through and staple them. I like to use closed cell 1/4" foam for these. I think it's a cleaner look. Your cushions look great. If you did that the dog house should be a breeze.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

redstrat, that is basically the exact way I was considering. I'm just worried that I will end up with wrinkles on the vertical part just above the cup holders. There won't be any way to pull that vertical section down tight.

I think I'm going to try that method tonight and see what happens. I'll let ya know!

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want to, sew a pull into the cover at that inside corner. You'll have to create a seam. Turn the cover inside out and pull it down to that point and staple the pull, then continue on down. Put the foam around the cups after you staple the pull. This way you bury the pull in the foam. :)

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I got it done today.. it's not perfect, but it will work for now. My sewing machine was giving me fits, adding to the aggravation.

Glued on the foam, ready to pull and staple the cover

Cover before pull/staple

Pulled and stapled and cup holders inserted

And here it is in the boat. I'm not at all satisfied with the top part (with the white sides) but it will work for now. Gotta get this thing on the water!

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nicely done. You learned a lot more by doing it yourself than you would have by taking to an upholstery shop. I agree about color design, it might be a bit over the top. But... it's only vinyl and if it really bugs you can do a do over this winter. :)

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks fine, You did use UV stable thread right?

What is the little box on the top for?

LK

Last edited:

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, the thread is a heavy UV resistant thread. I actually don't remember the exact thread, because I bought it over a year ago when this project began. The thread is one of the reasons my sewing machine gave me problems.

The box on top is actually not a box at all. The main part of the doghouse isn't quite tall enough to clear all of the motor, especially the flame arrest or. I wanted to have a little area there to use as an arm rest, so I moved the last couple inches on the top inward all the way around. The "box" on top will be screwed down and not movable. It almost looks like a cushion the way it is now though... I think I'll definitely be redoing that part.