5.7 volvo cranks but will not start. Safety kill???

340demon

Cadet
Last night on the lake we had something fly out of the boat. We turned around to get it, when we got to it the driver/owner went to neutral the reverse and realized he was moving a little fast for reverse and went back to neutral. The engine started running rough and he shut it down. While being towed in we did some on water testing. It has fuel but no spark. I don't know if the injectors are firing. Based on the maneuver he did we are wondering if there is an engine protection circuit that cut it off. The kill on the shift lever is attached.

It is a 5.7 300 horse. I don't remember the full engine model number but I remember it ended with c-300-j. I am hoping there is something simple we've missed.

340demon

Cadet
Re: 5.7 volvo cranks but will not start. Safety kill???

I was able to get the s/n. 3869459
A137241
57GiC-300-J
These are the numbers on the cover.

nathanj988

Seaman Apprentice

On my 97 VP 5.7, if I pull the kill switch I won't hear the fuel pumps turn on with the key. My fuel pumps are loud enough to hear them while they build pressure for starting the engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I guess its possible that he got a little water backed up the exhaust when he did that. He was going fast in reverse and by going quickly to neutral, some water got past the slower moving exhaust. Possible a couple cylinders got water in them.

340demon

Cadet

Well we know its not the safety kill switch. The fuel pumps run and there is fuel at the rail. The is no spark. I don't think water in the cylinders is the problem. It cranks over strong.