85 Force Low Idle Issues

DWHinson

Cadet
I have a 88 85 hp force. While on the water Sat. she started misfiring, running poorly. However, at high idle motor runs good and doesn't miss. I've cleaned gas tank & replaced gas with fresh high test, changed water separator filter, and installed new spark plugs. Compression is good on all three cyl. and I have blue spark on all three as well. So, firing isn't an issue, all three cyl. are hot.
When I back off of high idle and tap on no. two carb, motor perks up, then after a few seconds goes back to missing.
Would this be trash in the idle circuit of carb? I'm shuckin and jivin' trying not to pull carbs off.
Thanks for any and all help.
David W.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85 Force Low Idle Issues

Sounds like a stuck float in #2. Don't risk running lean from a malfunctioning carb, it WILL harm #2 piston. Removing all 3 at the same time is the easiest way. Clean and inspect each, check/reset float height, adjust mix screw on top of carb one full turn out from lightly seated NO LESS. This will almost always clear things up.

DWHinson

Cadet

Sounds like a stuck float in #2. Don't risk running lean from a malfunctioning carb, it WILL harm #2 piston. Removing all 3 at the same time is the easiest way. Clean and inspect each, check/reset float height, adjust mix screw on top of carb one full turn out from lightly seated NO LESS. This will almost always clear things up.

Thanks tater. I thought this would be the solution, (sigh). I've been taking down and cleaning with carb cleaner, seems to work. What do you think of the ultra sonic cleaning for carbs that's available? Expensive for sure, but is it worth it? Thank whoever for trolling motors. Best money I've spent on that boat yet.
David H.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Also install an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and carburetors. This will minimize any chance of debris getting into the carbs and causing a problem.

DWHinson

Cadet

Also install an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and carburetors. This will minimize any chance of debris getting into the carbs and causing a problem.

I installed a Attwood filter/water seperator last year, but it stilldosn't catch everything.

Thanks,
Davidh

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In addition the water separator (which is installed between the tank and the bulb) you should have an inline filter between the fuel pump and carbs as PNW suggested. Cheap insurance!

tater76

I use wd40 or spray carb cleaner to clean out orifices. Follow that with compressed air, and your good to go. NEVER soak in products like chemtool carb dip, it is not necessary, and it will harm the carbs. After the cleaning do the link and sync as per the sticky at the top of the forum.

DWHinson

Cadet

I use wd40 or spray carb cleaner to clean out orifices. Follow that with compressed air, and your good to go. NEVER soak in products like chemtool carb dip, it is not necessary, and it will harm the carbs. After the cleaning do the link and sync as per the sticky at the top of the forum.

Thanks, I'm working on carb today, will let you know if fixed. The issue is getting carb gasket. Nowhere close to buy one I'll have to travel 40 miles or I'll have to order it and pay 13 bucks shipping for an 80 cent part. Unreal.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I use Dawn dish soap to clean the carbs.
Real dirty/corroded, I use a spray carb cleaner and then wash with Dawn.
Then blow dry.
If you use any sprays like WD or silicone sprays, they can leave a sticky residue.
The needles and seat start out already gummed up and might not operate right?
Like the others said clean and reset the floats and air screws.
Wally world for inline filters Either a G-2 or G-12 in automotive.
Also look at the base gasket and the clamp around the exhaust rubber in the mid section.
The clamp is steel and it rusts,The other day I was having trouble with idling and on BOTH of my motors the clamp had rusted through and both motors had exhaust in the cowl.
Send me an address I should have a gasket.
If your really desperate?? You can make one?
Just make sure it doesn't stick into the throat of the intake.

tater76

If you do use wd40, and let the carb sit without fuel for a long period, then yes it would gum up like jerry said. However, the fuel flushes it out very quickly under normal operation.

DWHinson

Cadet

If you do use wd40, and let the carb sit without fuel for a long period, then yes it would gum up like jerry said. However, the fuel flushes it out very quickly under normal operation.

Thanks guys for all the carb cleaning tips. However, all the cleaning in the world won't fix my no. 3 carb. I pulled the suspect carb off the motor yesterday and of all things, the float weld to the needle/seat assembly had broken. My no. 3 carb float was essentially laying in the bottom of the bowl. Hence, no fuel was getting to number three, and the cause of the misfire. (Duh) In all my years of tinkering with cars, boats, lawn mowers etc... I've never seen a float come apart like that. I did do a good job of diagnosing and isolating the problem this time without over complicating the issue. The result should be a quick, cheap, easy fix. On to the parts house Monday morning, and I'll be back up and running again by tomorrow night. At least it was a clear, defined issue, not a ghost. I hate chasing ghosts.

Again, thanks.

David H.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

DON"T let them sell you a plastic float.
They are junk and not adjustable.
If you can't find one, I might have a spare laying around.
If not maybe another poster has one (FrankA)??

DWHinson

Cadet

DON"T let them sell you a plastic float.
They are junk and not adjustable.
If you can't find one, I might have a spare laying around.
If not maybe another poster has one (FrankA)??

Thanks, I'm lucky. We have an old guy who was one of the first Bayliner/Force dealerships to open. He's been working on outboards since 1975. He has boxes and boxes of any Force part made. I know he has a metal float in an old carb in his shop. And, he's pretty cheap on small parts like that. If anyone needs Force parts let me know, I'll get you his phone #.

tater76

I have lots if you don't find one.

DWHinson

Cadet

I have lots if you don't find one.

Thanks for the offer Tater. I found one yesterday. Guy charged me 7 bucks for gasket, float and putting carb back together. Installed carb yesterday, put the ole ears on her and she fired right up and isn't missing a lick. Cheapest Force motor fix ever!
Putting her in the water this evening, should be O.K. Looking forward to another great Fall fishing season.

David H

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

7$ waay to cheap for an outboard repair.
Go buy something nice for the wife(flowers,she'll love it).

DWHinson

Cadet

7$ waay to cheap for an outboard repair.
Go buy something nice for the wife(flowers,she'll love it).

I suggested that. However, she told me to go buy some bait and get the heck out of the house this afternoon. Think I'll, take her up on that. lol
p.s. that's why I love her.

David H.