Purchasing new fishfinder... Recommendations/suggestions?

natureschild88

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking to purchase a fish finder or depth finder for my boat. Ideally want something that will read depth/bottom structure and hopefully temperature as well. This is going on a 20' Larson fish/ski boat.

I'm trying to keep this on a budget and don't want to spend more than $200, would be stoked if I could spend closer to $100 but I don't want to buy a POS. I live in San Diego and the majority of the fishing I do is in the bay or in the kelp beds. Would like something that reads at least to 3 or 400 feet.

Any suggestions on what I should buy? Model specific would be great. Thanks!!

natureschild88

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Purchasing new fishfinder... Recommendations/suggestions?

I forgot to mention, I want to buy something that would be easy for me to install at home (I have lots of tools, but only very basic electrical experience). The boat currently has no fish/depth finder. I'd prefer to get something where I don't have to drill a hole at the bottom of the stern for the transducer, but if that's the only option I can do it.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

You can always glue a plate on back to screw the transducer into. I don't know that any in that price range are significantly better or worse but I've had good luck with a Hummingbird 565 that's now about 4 years old. I like the fact that it has a 60 degree cone because I fish a lot of shallower water. I would bet there should be model year closeouts coming up pretty quick so you should be able to snag a bargain if you look around.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't know that any in that price range are significantly better or worse
I agree. When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for.

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really like humminbird products. They are real high quality. Looks like the Piranhamax line is in your price range. A piranhamax 195c is $169 and it even has a color screen.