Starcraft Chieftain - Advice on Scope of Restoration

pckeen

Commander
Hello Everyone,

I've been keeping an eye out for a Starcraft Chieftain, and have been following jasoutside's Islander restoration, and Watermann's new project, with some interest. A Chieftain has come up locally - looks like a shot inside, and non-running motor, but comes with a shabby looking trailer (flat tires, naturally). Hull looks OK.

The Chieftain is some four hours away from me. Here are the only photos I have so far.

I have been corresponding with the current owner - they are asking too much right now, but seem to be very negotiatiable on price. What concerns me is the motor and outdrive is described as an "240 in line 6 Chevy omc drive, with trim Tabs"

If I jump on this, I'm going to want to find and put in a reliable, low hours I/O, with a good outdrive, and I won't want to use the OMC.

What does this mean in terms of my restoration - rebuilding of a transom?

What do I have to do/buy for an engine/outboard, and what kind of $$$ am I looking for this?

Looking for any advice you have.

pckeen

Commander
Re: Starcraft Chieftain - Advice on Scope of Restoration

Let me clarify the last post. I am thinking I will have to put a new inboard/outboard, upper drive assembly and lower drive assembly - but when I look at these on iboats - I'm not seeing an entire package being sold together. I also see pictures of 'engines', which look like an image of an engine block....with none of the wiring I would normally expect. Lastly, what the heck is a 'core.'

matt167

Captain

Basically you would need to have the transom hole welded, re cut a new hole and put in a new wooden transom.. After that, your best bet is a rotted out donor boat. The best kind is a glasser. The Chieftan was pretty commonly sold with Mercs. Mercruiser 140 4cyl is enough motor if it's only 21/22' long ( Starcraft sold many that way ), but a 4.3L would be a nice transplant

garrett113

Seaman

If you are referring to a " core charge" then I assume you're looking at purchasing a new/remanufactured short block ( engine block plus crank shaft, pistons and cam. That's about it) or "long block" block, crank, cam and heads all re manufactured. If that is the case, when you buy a short or long block they will have a core charge that is simply a trade for your engine block/block+cylinders that is if its usable if so its like a coupon sorta... Regardless accessories, manifolds, and wire harness are not part of the deal. That is why matt said you would be better of with a donor boat that has the setup your looking for then replacing only what needs to be. Still new to all this boat stuff myself but am nearing the end of my 4.3l rebuild. Only to realize I need to rebuild the structure of the boat. Which makes me think "core sample" if that what your talking about then basically what it means is take a drill bit and drill into the transom and stringers to test the wood. Take several samples. If the wood shaving are at all damp you could have a problem. These holes can be filled in with special marine silvone oh and obviously don't drill through the bottom of your boat use tape to mark your drill bit if need be. I'm not an expert just passing on the knowledge of accumulated from this site and from my own personal experiences. If you have not already read the stickies at the top of the page a lot of great stuff in there that I'm still reading myself. Hope I was helpful.
- The Rambler
Sent from my 4G Droid VZW

garrett113

Seaman

Wanted to be clear the idea of the donor is to get the outdrive, engines, wireing, etc..
Sent from my 4G Droid VZW

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So whatchur sayen is it's got one of these on the back eh?

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg451/jasoutside/Starcraft Islander/P1000675.jpg

Well man, if that's the case I'd be pricing that boat out as a good hull only (shot interior, rough trailer, scrap value driveline).

Knowwhattamean?

Have ya got a link to the ad so we can check it out? Maybe some photos of the stern and interior?

Proceed with caution....

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Peter, the hull looks to be in good shape, as the others have said with an OMC in it and the floors shot, it is not worth a lot of $. A doner boat would be the way to go if you can find a good one. I have seen new complete 3liter 140hp Mercruiser packages carb to prop for around $8000. with full warranty. You can't buy a late model 140 O/B for that price at least not up here in Canada. If you read through Jason's Islander thread you will see there is a lot involved with patching up the hole I the transom and starting new.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

She sounds / looks like the others we've drug home. Is it a 20 or 22 footer? Complete basket case boats vary in value from State to State but the guy who owns it has to realize his pool of potential buyers is very small. Most people want a boat they can use not sink many hours and $1000's into. Then there's us few and far between goofs that enjoy the art of rebuilding. As long as the hull hasn't been beat into a wadded up ball of tin foil then everything can be restored.

Bottom line is what your willing to pay for the set up not what he's asking. I doubt he will have people beating his door down for it. Get it for a decent price and you'll have the boat and then all the time in the world to decide what to do with her.

pckeen

Commander

Thanks - wasn't sure what size engine I should be looking for - this was all very helpful. When I was asking about a 'core', I was referring to an engine core. I suspect that a donor boat would be the way to go.

Jas - yup. One of those.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks - wasn't sure what size engine I should be looking for - this was all very helpful. When I was asking about a 'core', I was referring to an engine core. I suspect that a donor boat would be the way to go.

Jas - yup. One of those. Here is a link to the ad.

Yah, in that case, I wouldn't be coughing up any more than 1/2 the asking price. And, if you get it, you have a long haul my friend!

pckeen

Commander

You mean I can't do this in one weekend, with a beer in one hand, and four kids running round screaming at me? :lol:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You mean I can't do this in one weekend, with a beer in one hand, and four kids running round screaming at me? :lol:

Ha, yah!

No that's good, run with that!

Bondo

Staff member

Jas - yup. One of those. Here is a link to the ad.

Ayuh,.... I went with a donor driveline in my '74 Islander,... a 4.3LX/ Alpha 1,...

With the OMC, yer lookin' at scrap price for aluminum for that boat,....
or less,...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe a month to re-do cuz the Admiral will be screaming at you too. But if she gets the beer - mmm.

You aren't too far from Dozers favorite picking grounds if you can't find a donor. :rolleyes: Dumping the OMC and putting in a 6 cylinder or V6 Mercruiser in a 21 footer would be the way to go. And make a great family boat, too.

The OMC parts are worth money to help finance the project. If the outdrive is OK, it's worth a few bucks. And I'm guessing the motor is cracked, so probably toast.

On the plus side - She's already flipped on the trailer. :joyous: $750 would be around my top. If the interior is shot, figure on a full deck and transom replacement. Good luck on your decision. Oh- See if the seller will send more pics along with details on what's wrong with the motor. Just might save a 4 hour drive to look and go :frusty:. No matter what - the OMC has to go.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Some other considerations are, the 8 hours round trip drive time in a tow vehicle and your looking at a couple hundred in transportation costs. Not that it's the sellers problem. Then there's the towing of an unlicensed trailer (expired tags). I know those Mounties are far and few between but luck can not be on ones side at times.

Edit: Also all of us hitting that "Project Boat" ad hit counter may cause the guy to hang up on his price thinking there's a bunch of interest. May want to delete that link.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Re-powering and welding up then cutting a new hole in your transom seems huge to me. Lot's of hidden costs involved in a project of this size. Controls, gas tank(s), transom, floors interior, it does add up. Personally I would keep looking for a boat with the right type hole in the back. Even if I had to drive twice as far to find it. Maybe for free but not any where near that price.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Awesome :watermelon:

Repower to a 4.3L Merc....

You already have a great tender craft @ the Naden :D

pckeen

Commander

Some other considerations are, the 8 hours round trip drive time in a tow vehicle and your looking at a couple hundred in transportation costs. Not that it's the sellers problem. Then there's the towing of an unlicensed trailer (expired tags). I know those Mounties are far and few between but luck can not be on ones side at times.

Edit: Also all of us hitting that "Project Boat" ad hit counter may cause the guy to hang up on his price thinking there's a bunch of interest. May want to delete that link.

Done and deleted. I'm in discussions with powers greater than me.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander

She who must be obeyed.