Not getting fuel

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 seadoo speedster that I have been working on for almost a year now.... I bought it with a blown engine. Its been rebuilt and ready to go. I've ran into a problem. Its not getting any fuel. The pump is working you can clearly here it. I disconnected the outlet side to see if anything is being pumped from the fuel tank.... nothing. You can hear a gurgling sound though. I did notice a cracked anti-syphon valve. So just to quickly eliminated the crack by sealing it with a flexible thick rubber tape (just a quick fix to troubleshoot). Still the same thing.. Any suggestions?

Dukedog

Captain
Re: Not getting fuel

Did ya check tha mechanical pump?

Last edited:

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the mechanical pump is located after the electric pump, is it not? The fuel line leaves the tank and goes into the electric pump then leaves the electric pump and goes into the VST. Im not getting anything out of the electric pump

Dukedog

Captain

Tha mech pump supplies fuel to tha vst and electric pump...........Its first.

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does the fuel line not leave the tank and then go into the bottom of the electric pump (in the bottom of the filter) then out of that pump into the rest of the system?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the float is stuck in VST not allowing fuel to enter....

Dukedog

Captain

does the fuel line not leave the tank and then go into the bottom of the electric pump (in the bottom of the filter) then out of that pump into the rest of the system?

Boat tank to tha square mech pump then tha water sep/filter then tha vst then tha high pressure electric pump in tha vst then regulator then fuel rail............There is no pump in tha bottom of tha filter. That little switch on tha bottom of tha filter is a "water" warning...... Some do away with tha mech pump and install a very low pressure (3 ta 5 lbs) electric pump. This does away with tha pump up "bulb"........

Last edited:

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think were both a little mixed up here. I was talking about the filter that screws into the bottom of the electric pump.

I bought a new brass coupling and did away with the anit-syphon valve. That fixed the problem with the fuel going to the electric pump, but still nothing in the engine Plugs still dry, ive been cranking it and cranking it, nothing. So the way the fule lines are routed now are; Tank to filter mounted to electric pump, out of electric pump to the inlet of the square mechanical pump, outlet of the mechanical pump to the big fuel filter (mounted on the opposite side of the engine near the back), out of that filter back to the other side and into the VST then out of the VST to the fuel rail....

right or wrong?

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just pulled off the outlet hose from the big fuel filter, there is lots of fuel going to the VST. Not sure if anything is coming out though. What should the voltage be at the VST when cranking the motor? I am showing from 5.5 to 8vdc (from the red and black posts on the VST) Also there is no voltage when the key is just set to On (not cranking) Is this ok?

Dukedog

Captain

Boat tank to tha square mech pump then tha water sep/filter then tha vst then tha high pressure electric pump in tha vst then regulator then fuel rail............

Not like this it won't ever run. Tha square mech pump is what keeps tha vst full so tha high pressure electric pump in tha vst can do its job. No fuel in tha vst means no fuel to tha electric pump which means no fuel to tha motor...............

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the problem is that when i bought this boat all parts were in boxes... yay. But the short line from the electric pump (outlet) to the mechanical seems way too short to reach the bottom of the electric pump thats why I assumed it went were it is now, it was a perfect fit..

Dukedog

Captain

i just pulled off the outlet hose from the big fuel filter, there is lots of fuel going to the VST. Not sure if anything is coming out though. What should the voltage be at the VST when cranking the motor? I am showing from 5.5 to 8vdc (from the red and black posts on the VST) Also there is no voltage when the key is just set to On (not cranking) Is this ok?

If you take tha line from tha big filter going to tha vst off. Turn tha motor over and you should get fuel being pumped outta that hose. That tells ya tha mech pump is working. Put it all back together and turn tha motor over several times. Loosen tha brass screw (plug) on tha bottom of tha vst. Fuel should run out of tha vst. If not there's a problem inside tha vst. Maybe float and/or needle n seat.

Tha voltages at tha vst pump will be very strange. They are controlled by tha ecu. After it seta a few minutes turn tha key on. Tha pump should run for a few seconds and turn off on it own..........

Dukedog

Captain

the problem is that when i bought this boat all parts were in boxes... yay. But the short line from the electric pump (outlet) to the mechanical seems way too short to reach the bottom of the electric pump thats why I assumed it went were it is now, it was a perfect fit..

There's something really wrong here. That model motor does not have tha electric pump exposed and a fuel line going to tha bottom of tha pump. It is a 2.5 240 horse right?

Dukedog

Captain

PM me an email address and I'll send ya a link to all tha motor parts for tha 2000 240 Sport Jet......

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heres where im at. Fuel going to the VST, voltage at VST pump checks out. I put just a tire pressure gauge on the EFI port. When the key is just in the on position the gauge shows nothing. But while its cranking over it shows about 40 PSI... Is that ok? Should there be pressure even when the key is just in the on position? I keep turning it over than pull out the plugs. but still no gas at the plugs...

Another question. The little black water module located at the bottom of the EFI system, the tan colored wire that goes to the water sensor. Where would that water sensor be located? My tan wire out of the module is not connected to anything and the sensor is no where to be found...

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also, just to get it started on land does the water need to be running through the system for any sensors to allow it start? I know the water should be on for cooling purposes but will the engine start without any water?

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HELLO ALL!!

OK, I am finally back to the rebuild project after a long winter. So I installed the proper fuel pressure gauge tonight and It is reading about 38 PSI when the motor is turning over and also when the first electric fuel pump is pumping (while the key is in the on position). But the second that electric pump stops the pressure goes away...

Faulty fuel pressure regulator? Or can it be anything else in the fuel system?

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
also forgot to mention that I installed a rebuild kit tonight in the mechanical pump as well. According to the manual it says I should be getting 41 + PSI. Liek i said i am getting about 37 - 38.... But the pressure also goes away once the first electric pump stops...

Should the pressure regulator not hold some pressure??

workaholic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still stumped here. Been working at this all morning. Here`s what i`ve got....

No fuel going to the cylinders. Plugs are dry, Here`s what i`ve checked.

- Outlet of the fuel pressure regulator is spraying out fuel like it should and is reading about 37 PSI when the electric pump is running or when the engine is cranking. But as soon as the pump times out the pressure is gone. is this normal?

- Also checked the voltage readings at the electric pump in the VST. checks out good. And fuel is flowing out to the rail as it should be from the VST.

- I am going to recheck the readings at the injectors but they were fine the last time...

I was thinking that the fuel pressure regulator might be faulty but if it was I would still get some kind of fuel at the spark plugs... seeing as there is a good spray coming out of the regulator...

What other cause could there be not allowing the fuel to get to the cylinders... Something electrical??

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
If your electric pump shuts off when you release the key, which I think is what you are saying , then you may just have a bad relay , or in Mercury speak "Driver", in your ECU. Theres several ways around that. You could send it in to get repaired $$$, You could replace the ECU with a used one and hope the new one is good $$, You could buy a Brucatto ACU $$$, or you could just wire around the ECU and set up a relay to run the fuel pump any time the key is on. Thats what I do and I even have a Brucatto ACU.