just bought a 1969 evinrude 40 hp and wonder if you need the voltage regulator

o'brien

Recruit
does the generator or rectifier or whatever it is just not charge the battery without the regulator?

The guys I bought the motor from had done enough work to get it started in a 55 gal drum hotwiring it. I crossed the electric shifter wires and they seemed to work fine. I want to put it on an old boat and just take it for a short test drive (maybe an hour or so) before I take it all apart. I am putting it on that boat anyway, just that I'd like to drive it around a little before I get it all apart. Can I drive it without the regulator attached?

EDIT: I got two electric boxes with the motor, the regulator and another one with what looks like a solenoid and some fuses. They are almost guaranteed to need replaced so thats why I want to try it out bare bones. I can manually do the choke through the front hatch and it starts with no trouble. I guess I wonder if driving it without those boxes will hurt anything. I don't mind if the battery runs down.

Last edited:

o'brien

Recruit
Re: just bought a 1969 evinrude 40 hp and wonder if you need the voltage regulator

it's a 1968 -model number 40873 A

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: just bought a 1969 evinrude 40 hp and wonder if you need the voltage regulator

It won't hurt anything.....IF you don't let the battery get too low. If it does, and there is not adequate voltage applied to the electric clutches, they will slip. That causes rapid wear and failure. ($$$$$)

o'brien

Recruit

It won't hurt anything.....IF you don't let the battery get too low. If it does, and there is not adequate voltage applied to the electric clutches, they will slip. That causes rapid wear and failure. ($$$$$)

Got it. I want to run it for an hour or so and I have a huge deep cycle battery. Just finished hooking all the lines.
Is there a place to attach a kill switch? I couldn;t find it. I bought the book. I guess I should bust it out. Is it weird to be a little psyched to have a 1968 motor on my boat? The boat is a 1967 duo (here is a picture of it). This would be the original motor except a year newer.

o'brien

Recruit

Just fired it up. Key has kill position. Duh.