Sierra Electric Fuel Pump Issues

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I just replaced automotive electric fuel pumps with Sierra 18-7331 marine that are connected to Sierra OP72533 low oil pressure switches. I have MC 350 Chevy blocks with 4 barrel Rochester carbs. They seem to pump fuel and motors run well, but they get HOT. They are not so hot that I cannot hold on to them with my hand tightly, but it would not take much of an increase in temperature for me to be forced to remove my hand. Is this normal for these pumps to get so hot?????

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sierra Electric Fuel Pump Issues

I wouldnt think they should be getting that hot. Are the wires going to the pumps heating up/getting warm as well? could possibly be a weak ground causing them to get that hot.

Bondo

Staff member

I just replaced automotive electric fuel pumps with Sierra 18-7331 marine that are connected to Sierra OP72533 low oil pressure switches. I have MC 350 Chevy blocks with 4 barrel Rochester carbs. They seem to pump fuel and motors run well, but they get HOT. They are not so hot that I cannot hold on to them with my hand tightly, but it would not take much of an increase in temperature for me to be forced to remove my hand. Is this normal for these pumps to get so hot?????

Ayuh,... Just How Hot an object can You hold in yer hand,....

Motor parts,... 'ell Machinery in general runs Hotter than yer gonna comfortably Hold,...

Do ya have fuel Filters, before the pumps,..??

Are the tanks givin' up their load properly,..??

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Bondo, Sierra water seperators are about 2' before pumps. As far as I can tell, no fuel restrictions. I had to fabricate wiring harness from jeep fuel injector quick connect. That wire may be 4" of 14AWG. The rest of the wire to oil pressure switch/starter is 10 AWG. I'll check tomorrow to see if wires are hot.