18hp Evinrude Restoration complete!

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I'm done. 4 pulls and it started. Seems to be running good. Have to get it on lake to know for sure. Sorry the video is sideways. Thanks everyone!! :joyous::joyous::joyous:

2013-07-31 12.11.22.jpg

2013-07-31 12.21.34.jpg

2013-07-31 12.21.43.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 18hp Evinrude Restoration complete!

Glad you got her running, but YIKES!!!!!!!!! She's not pumping any water. You need your lower unit at least 3"-4" in deeper. You want the water level to be a couple inches over the anti-vent plate located directly above the prop. I use a large garbage can myself. If at any time she fails to pumop water, shut it down or you risk an overheat.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thanks alot. Hope I didn't hurt it. :) I wont run it agin till I get it on lake.

kfa4303

Banned

Nah, you'll be fine. Just don;t make a habit of it. These older motors don't have self-priming water pumps so they can't be used on modern muffs. Instead, you have to submerge the lower unit in a test tank with water filled up to about 1"-2" below the main exhaust port on the back of the motor. Also, these old girls don't have a modern "pee stream" like most motors. Instead they eject the cooling water along with the exhaust gasses out of the back of the motor which is also why the water can/will get quite yuky. Here's a vid of what you want to see. Be sure to post some pics of you out on the water too!

1957 Johnson 10hp Outboard Motor - YouTube
Johnson FD20C 20hp - YouTube

kfa4303

Banned

Nah, you'll be fine. Just don't make a habit of it. These older motors don't have self-priming water pumps so they can't be used on modern muffs. Instead, you have to submerge the lower unit in a test tank with water filled up to about 1"-2" below the main exhaust port on the back of the motor. Also, these old girls don't have a modern "pee stream" like most motors. Instead, they eject the cooling water along with the exhaust gasses out of the back of the motor which is also why the water can/will get quite yuky. Here's a vid of what you want to see. Be sure to post some pics of you out on the water too!

1957 Johnson 10hp Outboard Motor - YouTube
Johnson FD20C 20hp - YouTube

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. Here's a video of my motor running on the lake. Remember, it's a1972, 18hp Evinrude, on a 14' "V" bottom boat. It seemed to run good. I tried to adjust the low speed. Idle's ok. But at WOT didn't seem to be going very fast. I think it should be faster. Check it out. I think something needs adjusted to get it moving faster. Another video to come on next post.

Help! :joyous:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job. I am having the same issues with my Johnny.

AlTn

Commander

mind giving a quick summary of what you've done mechanically to this motor?...any history of its running under your ownership?

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AITn.....I hope you're talking to me. 59 Fatty, if you're having problems your motor, please start a new thread, do not use mine. This thread is to help me with my Evinrude. Thanks.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AITn.....I've regapped points, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt carb, serviced LU and water pump, and installed new recoil spring. Seems to run good, just don't know why it wont run full throttle. Not doggish.....just only about 1/2 to 2/3 speed maybe, at full throttle. ??????

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not having trouble any more. Evinrude and Johnson are a lot the same. I thought I was helping, I will stop trying to help you from now on. Jeez touchy.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry 59 Fatty. Fom your post it seemed like you were asking for advice from AITn. :joyous: So, how did you get your "Johnny" running full throttle?

AlTn

Commander

yes, whitejd12, a few things as far as not running at wot...is it running on both cylinders < try a drop test by pulling one sparkplug wire off then the other, does this cause the engine to drop rpm's or no change noticed? >..is the throttle butterfly exactly horizontal when the carb roller is on the highest point of the timing cam?...is the fuel pump supplying enough mix to the carb?...is enough mix < main jet size correct and spotless and float level correct > getting to the cylinders?....where is the anti-ventilation plate in relation to the keel while running <looking for even with or just below with a film of water running over it..too high and the prop will lose grip in the water and you'll over rev the engine, too low and the boat will try to pivot around the lower unit and the engine will be bogged down and never reach optimal rpms>...what pitch prop are you using?...weight distribution has a large affect as well..get as much of it forward as necessary to assist in the boat getting on plane

kfa4303

Banned

+1. I would start with testing both cylinders while underway. I bet you're dropping a cylinder. The motor itself should esily get you up on plane and push you along. My '66 20hp Johnson, which is virtually identical, will push my 14' semi-V tinnie about 20mph and hops right up on plane.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did nobody else hear what sounded like a lean sneeze? Listen to the (first) video about 44 seconds in you'll hear it start... or maybe I'm wrong.

Edit to clarify - the first video.

Last edited:

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cap'n Chaos......what is a "lean sneeze"?

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

When your running your fuel/air mixture too lean the motor will "jerk" or "sneeze" some describe it like a "hiccup"... watch your first video at 44 seconds it sounds like a lean sneeze and the whole motor looks like it jerks...it sounds like it does it a few more times at 49 and 54 secs.

Does anyone else see and hear this?