Question on installing 1992 Alpha 1 gen 2 drive

jeff.nelson83

Seaman Apprentice
Removed the drive unit from the bellhousing to grease u joints and check things out. Getting ready to install the drive and had some questions.

1st. Cleaning the gasket material from the bellhousing? Does it matter if the black paint is removed from the bellhousing while cleaning the old gasket material off?

2nd. Manual state that i should glue the big oring in "that goes around the driveshaft" or else it could leak?

Looking for real world advise, let me know how you guys install your drives. Thanks

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Question on installing 1992 Alpha 1 gen 2 drive

Cleaning the gasket material from the bellhousing? Does it matter if the black paint is removed from the bellhousing while cleaning the old gasket material off?
2nd. Manual state that i should glue the big oring in "that goes around the driveshaft" or else it could leak?

I just gently scraped off any gasket material then went over that with some mineral spirits to make sure it was clean; little missing spots of paint did not worry me.

YES. Use some bellows adhesive (if you have it) or contact cement to hold that big O-ring in or good chance it will leak.

Make sure the shifter is in full forward and the prop is also locked in forward.

Mark

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Question on installing 1992 Alpha 1 gen 2 drive

I just gently scraped off any gasket material then went over that with some mineral spirits to make sure it was clean; little missing spots of paint did not worry me.

YES. Use some bellows adhesive (if you have it) or contact cement to hold that big O-ring in or good chance it will leak.

Make sure the shifter is in full forward and the prop is also locked in forward.

Mark

Ayuh,.... Don always said use Glue on the water O-ring, 'n the Big o-ring,....

It's just to hold 'em "In-place" til ya slam the drive Home,....

I use a finger fulla good stiff Grease to do the same job,...