Converting two wire trim to three wire? Help!

Jholm3

Cadet
I have and 86 bayliner trophy the previous owner bought a two wire trim to replace the non working three wire trim need help figuring out how to wire the new two wire to the old three wires

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting two wire trim to three wire? Help!

I may know what I am talking about and I may not. Nobody answered this and with my answer it will bounce it back to the top of the forum where smart folks can see it, or I will get whacked for being a dumb........bunny.

The 3 wire system uses a blue for 12v with a ground for the up relay and a green with 12v and ground for the down relay....blue sky, green grass....learned that a couple of days ago on here, and it is a really neat way to remember which color moves the lower unit which way.

On the 2 wire system, the two relays are interconnected such that 12v and ground are connected to the two wires in different directions to reverse the DC trim motor. 12v on the blue, ground on green, runs the trim motor up and 12v on the green with ground on the blue runs it down. You aren't going to hurt anything if you use something small like a 16 awg wire to do the 12v and gnd application. If worried, put a 20 amp fuse in your power line and if something goes astray the fuse will blow.....but I have a really good idea I do know what I'm talking about.

What concerns me is that the trim button on the Mercury Quicksilver 2000 and 3000 remote controls puts 12v on either the blue or green wire depending upon direction desired. I don't know how the 2 wire system is driven with a current model remote.....but I think the two wire system was used in earlier engines with earlier model remotes.

I see you are talking about an '86 year model engine. Not rocket science. Disconnect the blue and green wires from the trim relays. Put your voltmeter between the two wires going to the relays with the red voltmeter lead on the blue wire and black on green. If digital great! Easier to get the reading you want. Push your trim button on your remote in the up direction and see if you get a +12v (roughly) reading. Push it in the down position and see if you get a - 12v reading. If so, you are good to go.

Best I can do,
Mark

Last edited: