separate nav lights on console

ben_fishn

Seaman Apprentice
this may be a dumb question but i am installing nav lights on center console, one on each side. is there a diagram out there for this? all i can find is for the single red/green light.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: separate nav lights on console

HI ben. While I'm familiar with the set up you're going for, I'm not sure it's actually legal. I know several rather prominent manufacturers mount them this way, but I'm not sure it's correct. As I understand the regs, both the red/green nav lights are to be mounted on/near the bow with a visible range of 112.5 degrees each for a total of 225 degrees. You'll also need an all-white stern light visible in 360 degrees. By placing the nav lights on the helm not only can they become more easily obscured, but they may not have the proper range of visibility either. I would triple check the regs to be sure.

bekosh

Lieutenant

HI ben. While I'm familiar with the set up you're going for, I'm not sure it's actually legal. I know several rather prominent manufacturers mount them this way, but I'm not sure it's correct. As I understand the regs, both the red/green nav lights are to be mounted on/near the bow with a visible range of 112.5 degrees each for a total of 225 degrees. You'll also need an all-white stern light visible in 360 degrees. By placing the nav lights on the helm not only can they become more easily obscured, but they may not have the proper range of visibility either. I would triple check the regs to be sure.
Actually the prefered location is on the side. That's why they are called sidelights. On smaller vessels they may be combined into a single light on the centerline.

Here is the definition from the Navigation Rules.

Rule 21 (b)
(b) "Sidelights" means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less than 20 meters in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel, except that on a vessel of less than 12 meters in length the sidelights when combined in one lantern shall be placed as nearly as practicable to the fore and aft centerline of the vessel.

ben_fishn

Seaman Apprentice

im putting it on 198 carolina skiff i just purchased. it is a 6 pole switch on there now but whoever wired it didnt know what they were doing. trying to clean up the mess. just wasnt sure how to wire it up to that 6 pole switch and have stern wired correctly also on same switch. i have a drawing for the one light but not separate fixtures

kfa4303

Banned

I believe he's mounting them on a center console rather than on the sides by the bow. Even if it is "legal" to mount them on either side of the console, having any sort of light that near to you while underway at night is less than beneficial. Better to keep any and all light away from your eyes, except perhaps for a small red LED lamp to read charts by. It seems like having two powerful lights of differing colors so close to the helm and captain's line of sight would be less than ideal. Not to mention, that half of the interior of your boat would be green while the other half is red which would make it difficult for your eyes to adjust, if at all.

ben_fishn

Seaman Apprentice

either way, i just want to know how to do it. they are already on there. just want em working.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I didn't know it was a 6 pole switch. Here try this one for the switch.
Nav Light Switch.jpg